Police Intelligence Response Team (IRT) has arrested an amputee and three other suspected fraudsters for allegedly impersonating top government functionaries.
The suspects, who were presented yesterday at the Force Headquarters, were said to have posed at various times as Senate President, Bukola Saraki, former Governor of Lagos State, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, and the Chief of Staff to the President, Abba Kyari, to extort their unsuspecting victims to the tune of N20 million. The Force Public Relations Officer (FPRO), CSP Jimoh Moshood, disclosed this in a statement.
He said: “On Tuesday, the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) arrested these notorious suspected criminals who posed as Chief of Staff to President, Senate President, National Security Adviser to President, Minister of Petroleum, Minister of Finance, Minister of Transport, Chief Bola Tinubu, and many other prominent Nigerians.
“In a coordinated operation in synergy with the Technical Intelligence Unit (TIU) after a painstaking and sustained surveillance by IRT the suspects were arrested. The four-man gang notorious syndicate led by one High Chief Ovie Ogo (Eze Ireoma of Omoku-Rivers State) was arrested at a hotel in Kaduna State.
“All the suspects (allegedly) confessed to the crime admit- ting to have impersonated several prominent citizens and made over N20 million from their criminal acts within the last six months before they were arrested. “Investigation is being intensified to arrest the other suspects at large while those arrested will be charged to court on completion of investigation.”
The FPRO listed the names of the suspects as: High Chief Ovie Ogo (47) native of Ekpan in Ethiope East Local Government Area of Delta State, Abdullazeez Eragbe (40) native of Ikabigbo in Esako West Local Government Area of Edo State, Babatunde Oshamoto (49) native of Iyamoye, Ijumu Local Government Area of Kogi State, Samuel Idah (25) native of Uromi, Esan North-East Local Government Area of Edo State and Prince Attah aka Maurice based in the United Kingdom (who is at large).
Items recovered included 14 assorted GSM sets, all with SIM cards registered with the names of top government officials and other prominent Nigerians. Several extra registered SIM cards, a diary containing phone numbers of several top government officials and prominent persons in the country were also recovered from the suspects
Fire razes IDP camp in Plateau
The newly constructed ultra modern Internally Displaced Persons Camp in Shendam Local Government Area of Plateau has been razed by fire.
The camp was constructed by the Presidential Committee on Flood, Relief, and Rehabilitation, which came into being after the 2012 flood disaster that ravaged 24 states in the country.
Mr. Bintan Wuyep, Director, Relief, and Rehabilitation, Plateau Emergency Management Agency confirmed the inferno while speaking with the News Agency of Nigeria in Jos on Thursday.
Wuyep, who is the Acting Executive Secretary of the agency, said the disaster occurred on Tuesday.
He said, however, that SEMA had been unable to assess the level of damage due to the paucity of funds.
“We don’t have funds even to fuel our vehicle to go to the camp to ascertain the cause of the inferno and assess the extent of the damage.
“We have gone everywhere even for a loan, but we have not succeeded.
“Hence, we cannot give the exact level of damage caused by the sad incident,” Wuyep said.
The Acting executive secretary described the incident as “a big loss to Plateau and Nigeria as a whole.’’
According to him, the camp was meant to house Displaced Persons that might be affected by future disaster in any part of the state.
Wuyep added that SEMA had already informed the Presidential Committee of the sad development.
“The committee told us to assess the damage and formally write a report informing them of the cause and extent of the damage.
“But like I said earlier, we are constrained by lack of funds,” he said.
Wuyep appealed to the State Government to empower the agency with funds to enable it to function according to the law establishing it.
He commended the State House of Assembly for its resolve to investigate the cause of the inferno.
Wuyep stated that the action was not just timely but necessary.
Zamfara teacher flogs student to death
A teacher at Government Day Secondary School, Sankalawa, in Bungudu Local Government Area of Zamfara State has allegedly flogged a student to death.
The Deputy Speaker of the state House of Assembly Alhaji Muhammad Abubakar-Gummi, disclosed the incident yesterday.
Abubakar-Gummi, who spoke under matters of urgent public importance during the assembly’s sitting in Gusau, said that the House had received several reports on the issue.
According to him, another incident at Government Female Day Secondary School, Kwatarkwashi, had led to the injury of a student after the Vice Principal allegedly subjected her to “heavy punishment”.
Gummi said: “These problems apart, from discouraging our children from acquiring education, also reveal poor attitude to work on the part of teachers in this state.”
According to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), the lawmaker urged the House to invite the Commissioner for Education, Science and Technology to explain steps taken to address the issues.
The Speaker, Alhaji Sanusi Rikiji, described the actions of the teachers as unfortunate and vowed that the assembly would not allow the matter to pass.
He said: “It is part of our responsibilities to ensure effective security and good learning atmosphere for our children for their future development, therefore, we cannot allow teachers to continue harassing our children in school.”
The speaker directed the House Committee on Education, Science and Technology to invite the commissioner to appear before it on the matter.
Meanwhile, the Assembly has passed into law the bill for the establishment of Zamfara State University, Talata-Mafara.
Tailor jailed 60 years for defiling girl, 12
Sexual Offences and Domestic Violence Court, Lagos, yesterday sentenced a 58-year-old tailor, Cobina Iziejen, to 60 years imprisonment for defiling a 12-year-old girl (name withheld).
The court commissioned on February 1 by the Lagos State Chief Judge, Justice Opeyemi Oke, convicted the Iziejen after he confessed to have slept with the victim (a primary five pupil) on three different occasions.
Iziejen was arraigned alongside two others – Raimi Jimoh (38) and Arowolo Kazeem Olorunwa (35) – on a three-count charge of defilement of a child.
The accused committed the offence sometimes in 2017 around Orimedu Town, Ibeju-Lekki, Lagos.
While delivering the judgement, Justice Sybil Nwaka said: “The prosecutor, earlier in his address, said that issue of rape and defilement offences is now rampant; a situation where our children cannot freely move around especially in schools.
“I cannot agree more with the prosecuting counsel that incidence of rape has taken a new astronomical dimension in our society.
“The rate at which men in our society are prowling around, looking for young underage children to defile is alarming.
“Children, especially the girl child, are no longer safe in the custody of uncles, brothers even fathers, this is sad.
“Our children especially the girl child should be encouraged to cry out and report any sexual assault against them as this is the only way to correct this dire situation.
“We desire to make the city of Lagos and its environs safe for our children.
“These children are leaders of tomorrow and as such not to be ruined in their formative years.
“The state of Lagos has zero tolerance for sexual offences. In view of the plea of guilt and the facts by the prosecutor, Iziejen is hereby convicted accordingly.
“For these reasons, I hereby sentence you to 60 years imprisonment with hard labour. This is the judgment of this honourable court.”
However, the chief state prosecutor, B. T. Boye, said while the convict, who is the third defendant in the matter, pleaded guilty, the other two denied the allegation.
Boye said: “It was observed by the school authorities that the child was fond of returning late from lunch break during school hours.
“Upon enquiry, the child admitted that the second defendant, Olorunwa, has been having sexual intercourse with her during break time.
“The head teacher of the school probed further and thereafter reported the matter at Akodo Police Station, Ibeju-Lekki.
“It was at the station that the victim (Child X) also mentioned the first and third defendants as persons who have also defiled her several times during break time.
“Also, Iziejen pleaded guilty on February 12, 2018 and Section 137 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015 states that any person who has sexual intercourse with a child commits a felony and upon conviction serves a punishment of imprisonment for life.”
National news9 hours ago
Benue killings: Soldiers providing cover for armed Fulani herdsmen – Tiv leaders
News10 hours ago
BREAKING: Jonathan, IBB absent as Buhari meets Obasanjo, others in Aso Rock
Metro and Crime21 hours ago
Ex-Catholic priest, Edet, to marry March 17
Top Stories6 hours ago
Tinubu blasts APC chairman John Oyegun
News20 hours ago
Corruption still high under Buhari’s watch – Sultan of Sokoto
News20 hours ago
Attack on Yobe school: Army rescues abducted girls
News Around Nigeria10 hours ago
Finally, Fayose meets Buhari (PHOTO)
Metro and Crime20 hours ago
Tailor jailed 60 years for defiling girl, 12