Connect with us

News

Court orders forfeiture of N449m found in BDC shop

Published

on

The Federal High Court in Lagos on Wednesday ordered the temporary forfeiture of the sum of N449,750,000 found in an abandoned Bureau de Change shop in Victoria Island by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
The forfeiture order was made by Justice Rilawan Aikawa following an ex parte application taken before him by the anti-graft agency.
An investigator with the EFCC, Moses Awolusi, said in the affidavit filed before the judge that the shop numbered LS64, located on at Legico Shopping Plaza, at Victoria island, Lagos had not been opened for two years.
Awolusi said the money was found on April 7, 2017 in several “Ghana Must Go” sacks, adding that the EFCC recovered the money after investigating intelligence information received on one Mohammed Tauheed.
According to the investigator, Tauheed allegedly conspired with the owner of the abandoned shop to launder the money.
Awolusi said Tauheed had earlier been brought to the EFCC office by the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of Legico shopping Plaza, Mr. Sulaiman Daba and Alhaji Ishaq Ayandiran, respectively.
He said during the visit, Tauheed told the anti-graft agency that he received the money in cash from a serving government official, whose name was not disclosed for security reasons.
He said Tauheed, in the presence of his lawyer, later agreed to return the money to the Federal Government, which is the rightful owner of the funds strongly suspected to the proceeds of criminal activities of the unnamed serving government official.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Paul Ovie

    April 19, 2017 at 6:56 pm

    Load of crappy shit!!!

Leave a Reply

News

Lagos distributes 12 coconut processing equipment to councils

Published

on

Lagos State Government through the Lagos State Coconut Development Authority (LASCODA) has distributed coconut processing equipment to coconut processors in 12 Local Governments and Local Council Development Areas of the state as part of its empowerment programme in the coconut value chain. Special Adviser to the Governor on Food Security, Mr. Okanlawon Sanni who distributed the coconut processing equipment to beneficiaries disclosed that the state had shown commitment in boosting food security in the state, stressing that government had included coconut processors in its agricultural development programme with a view to developing the state’s coconut value chain.

Sanni noted that the 12 units of coconut processing equipment donated to coconut processors in the state included, Stainless two ton per hour coconut greater, 7.5 H.P Electric motor, Industrial burners, Aluminium bowls and spoon amongst others.

Meanwhile, Commissioner for Agriculture, Mr. Oluwatoyin Suarau who also spoke at the event noted that the empowerment program for the coconut processors cut across processors from Badagry, Kosofe, Ori-Ade, Oto Awori, Ibeju- Lekki, Epe, Ojo, Surulere , Ikorodu,Lekki Agege and Alimosho LGAs & LCDAs. While congratulating the beneficiaries, Suarau opined that coconut value chain has a lot of potentials that can be harnessed which can impact positively on the GDP of the country.

Continue Reading

News

Employee sues CIG motors over alleged termination of appointment

Published

on

A former staff of CIG Motors Company Limited, Akeem Adebiyi Adeyemi, has filed a N1.062 million suit before the National Industrial Court (NIC), Lagos Division, against the management of the company over an alleged wrongful termination of appointment. In the suit, reference NICN/LA/35/2018 filed through his lawyers, Olawale Fapohunda, the claimant is seeking a declaration that the purported termination of his employment with the defendant through a letter dated August 31, 2017 based on protest against certain racial comments by the chairperson of the company, Mrs Chen Xuixia is illegal, malicious and wrongful.

The claimant sought the court’s declaration that the defendant breached his right to freedom from discrimination as provided for under Section 42 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as amended and Federal law of Nigeria, Cap C23 LFN 2004.

He asked the court to declare that the deliberate refusal of the defendant to remit his pension contribution from April 2017 to August 2017 was unlawful and a violation of the provisions of the Pension Reforms Act 2014 and that the refusal of the defendant to remit the Personal Income Tax monthly deduction made from him to the Lagos State Internal Revenue Service was unlawful and a violation of the provisions of the Personal Income Tax Act Cap P8 LFN 2004.

Continue Reading

News

Catholic Church rejoins CAN

Published

on

Barely five years after the Roman Catholic Church in Nigeria pulled out of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), the church has announced its return to the umbrella organisation of Christians in the country. The Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria(CBCN) had, in a letter dated September 24, 2012, announced its withdrawal from the organisation. Although the letter was not explicit on the reasons for the action, many believed it was due to some disagreements.

The re-union which reportedly took place at the weekend, saw a delegation of the Catholic Secretariat of Nigeria, led by Rev. Fr. (Prof.) Cornelius Omonokhua, attending an expanded two-day National Executive Committee meeting of CAN for the amendment of its constitution. President of CAN, Dr. Samson Ayokunle, expressed delight at the new development, describing it as one of the best things that has happened to CAN in recent times.

In a statement issued by Adebayo Oladeji, his Special Assistant on Media and Communications, Ayokunle said bringing the Catholic brethren back to the fold was part of his vision for CAN. “I must acknowledge the support and understanding of my brother in Christ, Most Rev Ignatius Kaigama, President, Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Nigeria and his team.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Take advantage of our impressive online traffic; advertise your brands and products on this site. Call

 

For Advert Placement and Enquiries, Call:

Mobile Phone:+234 803 304 2915

 

Online Editor: Michael Abimboye

Mobile Phone: 0813 699 6757

Email: mmakesense@gmail.com

 

Copyright © 2018 NewTelegraph Newspaper.

%d bloggers like this: