Connect with us

Metro and Crime

We offered police N250, 000 to divert N13.7m goods but they refused –Suspects



Nemesis has caught up with a syndicate that specialised in diverting goods at the Tin Can Port Apapa Lagos. The syndicate, including four men and a woman, was exposed after they attempted to bribe police officers attached to Festac Division, Area E Command, Lagos, with the sum of N250, 000 after they were arrested on Wednesday while allegedly attempting to divert a trailer load of bags of cashew nuts worth N13.7million meant for export.

The syndicate would have succeeded in their scheme but luck ran out on them when a team of policemen led by Inspector Peter Alyasi attached to the Area E Command Festac while on stop and search patrol at the No Man’ s Land area of the town intercepted the trailer.

Inspector Alyasi subsequently demanded to see the content of the goods and their vehicular documents. Instead of giving the policemen what they requested for, the syndicate led by the alleged criminal receiver of the goods offered the police N250, 000 bribe.

A police source said: “The woman claimed to be the owner of the goods but when she was questioned, she began to fidget and offered to bribe the policemen to let the trailer go without inspection. The policemen pretended as if they were cooperating with the syndicate and the woman brought out N100, 000 cash and offered it to the policemen. Immediately, the policemen arrested the woman, the driver and others and drove the trailer loaded with cashew nuts to the Area E command and detained the suspects.”

It was gathered that Inspector Alyasi under the instructions of the Area E Commander found out the authentic owner of the goods was a certain Mr. Bumi Olumekun and subsequently called him on the telephone to come to the station to identify his goods.

Speaking about the arrest and how his goods were diverted, Mr. Olumekun who is the President of Frieght Forwarders Association of Nigeria, said: “I received a call on my mobile phone and the person calling introduced himself as Inspector Peter Alyasi from Area E Command Festac Town Lagos.

He said they have arrested the driver of a trailer I hired to move my cashew nuts to Apapa for exportation. I rushed down to the station and learnt that the driver of the trailer I hired with his motor boy and three other persons diverted my goods.

Inspector Alyasi said the suspects offered him N250, 000 but his conscience did not allow him to take the money. I am in shock that a driver will connive with others to divert goods he was paid handsomely for. I usually hear such stories but it has happened to me and I feel urgent steps should be taken to stop these syndicates operating in our ports.

I commend Inspector Peter Alyasi and his team for turning down the bribe. This has shown that there are good people in the Nigeria Police and not all of them are corrupt.” The suspected driver identified as Yemi Alanu said he was deceived to divert the goods. He said: “I was deceived to sell twenty bags of the cashew nuts for N2,000 each.

I did not know the price of the bags but I later found out that each bag costs about N46, 000. I was diverting the goods in company of the woman who wanted to buy them to a ware house in Festac Town when the police arrested us.

We made frantic efforts to bribe the police w i t h N250, 000 but Inspector Peter who was leading the team turned our offer down and arrested us. I feel bad for getting myself involved in this crime. I allowed the woman to deceive me and greed led me into this mess.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Metro and Crime

Ex-soldier stabs nephew to death over inheritance



Mrs. Uche Oyebajo was a picture of grief as she recounted how a retired soldier killed her 50-year-old husband, Adeniyi Oyebajo, leaving her a widow and her children fatherless.
Even as she told the haunting story of death and loss, tears filled her eyes. She tried to control the tears, but lost the battle midway through her story.
According to her, her husband was killed by none other than his 70-year-old Uncle, Gbolahan Ajasa, a retired soldier.

The grieving widow said Ajasa stabbed Adeniyi to death after he tried to stop the former from fighting his sister, Madam Olatubosun, who incidentally is Adeniyi’s mom.
Ajasa was alleged to have jumped on Adeniyi from behind, wielding a knife, moments after the deceased attempted to make peace between sister and brother.

Weeping silently, Uche said: “I was in the sitting room with my children when I heard my husband’s voice that night. I came out to check; I noticed he had gone back to where the quarrel was going on. I followed him to the next compound, which was close to ours.

The compound is where his uncle, Gbolahan lives. I noticed that the two of them was arguing over an issue. When I noticed what was going between them, I held my husband’s shirt and begged him not to go to the old man’s house.

“He listened and followed me. As we were leaving, Uncle Gbolahan sneaked from behind and stabbed my husband in the stomach. There was no power supply that night. I thought my husband was urinating on his body. It was when he moved a bit that I saw blood gushing out of his stomach. His intestines were out and dangling. I was turned into a widow and my children orphans. I’m a full time housewife. I don’t want my husband to die in vain.”
Ajasa was alleged to have killed his nephew with a poisonous knife at Lowa area of Ikorodu, Lagos State.

Ajasa was allegedly fighting his sister over a property, when Adeniyi came to make peace. The property, which was under dispute, was inherited from their late father.
Adeniyi was with some his friends at a nearby beer parlour in the community on the fateful day, when his mother called him on the phone that his uncle had started fighting her again.
The incident, which occurred on Sunday about 9p.m., was said to have thrown the community into mourning.

Adeniyi’s younger brother, Mr. Adeleke Oyebajo, explained that his late brother was with friends when their mother called him on the phone to come and rescue her from her brother.
He said: “My mother is the first child of their parents. She advised her other siblings to give their late father’s house, located at Ladega area of Ikorodu, to a developer to develop it. They all agreed to go with whatever she said since she is the eldest.

“Unfortunately, when she approached Uncle Gbolahan, a retired soldier, to inform him of what she discussed with their siblings, he picked up a quarrel with her. He held my mother’s clothes and threatened to beat her. Just to avoid trouble, she called my elder brother to come and pacify Uncle Gbolahan and to also reason with him.

“Immediately my brother received the phone call from our mother, he left what he was doing. He went straight home. When he got home, he met sister and brother exchanging words. He persuaded the retired soldier to go into his apartment.

“My brother was coming out from Uncle Gbolahan’s apartment, when Uncle Gbolahan suddenly came from behind and stabbed him in the stomach. It was the screams of my brother that alerted people that something was wrong. He was rushed to the hospital, but died on the way.”
It was learnt that another man, Gbenga, who attempted to confront Ajasa, was also inflicted with knife cuts by Ajasa.

When Ajasa realised what he had done, he quickly dashed to Igbogbo Police Station, to report that armed robbers attacked him. He also told the police that he killed one of the armed robbers and inflicted injuries on two.
Ajasa was still at the police station, writing his statement when Adeniyi’s distraught mother, Olatubosun, got to the station. When she sighted her brother, she cried out and begged police not to allow him to escape, that he had just murdered her son. Ajasa was immediately arrested and detained.

Some youths in the community, who were irked by Adeniyi’s death, embarked on a protest and vandalised the home of Ajasa.
Adeniyi’s daughter, Happiness, described her late father as a “friend and a father.”

She said: “I was in school when I got a phone call from my cousin that my father had been stabbed. I became restless. It’s not going to be easy with my father dead; but I know that with God everything will be fine.”
A resident, who does not want his mentioned, said: “The death of Adeniyi was a big loss to the community. He was an easy going man. We were together on the fateful day before he was killed. I’m urging the police to investigate the matter and not sweep it under the carpet.”

Ajasa was on February 19 arraigned before an Ebute Meta Magistrates’ Court in Lagos for the murder of his nephew. The Magistrate, Mrs. O. O. A. Fowowe-Erusiafe, ruled that Ajasa would have to remain in prison custody pending receipt of legal advice from the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP). The plea of the accused was not taken.

Earlier, the prosecutor, Sergeant Courage Ekhueorohan, said the offence violated Section 222 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015. The case has been adjourned till March 19.

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Tenant kidnaps landlady’s children, disappears



A female tenant has disappeared after kidnapping two children of her landlady at the Okedogbon area of Owo, headquarters of Owo Local Government Area of Ondo State.
The tenant was alleged to have carried out the act seven days after she moved into the landlady’s house, which is located at Okedogbon area of Owo.

The two kids identified as Ayomide Olamilekan, six months old and Blessing Olamilekan, two years old, were abducted and taken to an unknown destination by the tenant who was said to be quite friendly with the children.
A source said the tenant and a man suspected to be her husband rented a room apartment from the mother of the abducted children, Mrs. Abimbola Olamilekan, and paid six months’ rent.

The source said the landlord did not have any information about the tenant up till the time she absconded with her kids, neither did she know any of the tenant’s relative in the town. It was, however, learnt that the kidnappers were from the South-South region of the country.

The lady was said to be washing clothes at the back of the building, when the tenant offered to assist her in taking care of her babies, since they were disturbing their mother. The tenant took the kids and vanished into thin air.

The source said: “The incident happened exactly seven days after the tenant and her husband moved to the house. The mother of the abducted kids was washing clothes at the back of the house and the six months old was crying. The tenant came around and offered to assist the mother to mind the crying baby. As she carried the baby on her back, the second child too was also crying, so she took her along. She told their mother that she wanted to go and buy biscuit for them in a nearby grocery shop.

“The mother released her babies to her and it was after several hours that the tenant did not return with her babies that she raised the alarm.”
Another source said that after some days that the tenant and the husband did not return to the house, the search party in the area broke into the kidnappers’ room in the house, but found only bed sheet on the floor.
The state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Mr. Femi Joseph, confirmed the incident.

The PPRO said that the whereabouts of the kids and their abductors remained unknown as at the time of filing this report.
He said: “The mother of the victims had been invited, but she told us that she had no personal details of the tenant before giving her and her husband the apartment. This is wrong and careless. We’re still on it; we have commenced investigation into the incident. We will try our best to get the children back and arrest the kidnappers.”

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

SFU probes two banks, arrests operations, manager over



Detectives attached to the Police Special Fraud Unit (SFU), Milverton, Ikoyi, Lagos, are investigating a new generation bank and a micro-finance bank for complicity in the diversion of N3 million.
The police launched the investigation after receiving a petition from a complainant, who wouldn’t like to be mentioned.

The petitioner stated that the stolen money was precisely N3,159,400.10k.
According to the police, Mr. Vincent Esiekpe, has been in connection with the crime. Esiekpe is a former worker of the complainant.

Esiekpe was alleged to have gone to one of the complainant’s clients, identified as China Shipping Limited, and while pretending that he was still working with his former company, collected a bank draft of over N3 million meant for his former employee’s company.

The crime was discovered after the complainant, tired of waiting for China Shipping Limited to send his bank draft, decided to call them. He was shocked when he was told that Esiekpe had collected the draft. Incidentally, China Shipping Limited didn’t know that Esiekpe no longer works with the complainant.
After several efforts to locate Esiekpe failed, the complainant went to the SFU. The police tracked and arrested him.

A police source said: “Esiekpe diverted the bank draft. He cashed it through a micro-finance bank. But it was cleared through a new generation bank located at the Ojota area of Lagos State. Although the new generation bank said it was ready to pay the complainant the money because the micro-finance bank had indemnity of N5 million with the bank, but the micro-finance bank appears to be discouraging it from playing ball. They might all have to be charged to court.

“The draft is actually that of a Guaranty Trust Bank (GTB), we don’t understand why another bank had to clear it. Any draft, not directly linked to a particular bank, where it was assigned to, should be viewed and handled with care. Bank drafts that need clearing should be verified.”

The police source added that after Esiekpe stole the draft, he went through some people to ensure it was cleared and that he got cash.
“The suspect went to the person who knows about the business. The person introduced him to the micro-finance bank.”
It was learnt that the police also arrested the operation’s manager of the new generation bank, identified as Richard.
Richard reportedly said: “Our bank has been clearing draft for other banks for years.”
Investigators also discovered that Esiekpe allegedly gave his friend’s account detail for the money to be paid. The friend, identified as Ademola, owns a company. Esiekpe told Ademola that he was expecting some money and needed an account to pay it into. Ademola obliged him.
When the draft cleared, the money was paid into Ademola’s account. Ademola later transferred the money to Esiekpe’s account.
Police said Esiekpe had admitted committing the crime. He also reportedly said: “I knew the draft was meant for the former company I worked for. I took the draft and cashed the money because of a problem I was facing. My friend, Ademola, is innocent of this crime.”
Esiekpe was said to have taken the draft to one Mbaize, begging him to assist him in ensuring it was cleared. Mbaize took it to Emeka, who took it to the micro-finance bank. The micro-finance bank channelled it to the first generation bank, where it was eventually cleared.
When the money was shared, Esiekpe got over a million naira, the micro-finance bank got N200,000, Emeka also got over a million naira and a lady identified simply as Mercy, who is at large, got N700, 000. Police said they were looking for Mercy and Emeka.

Continue Reading


Take advantage of our impressive online traffic; advertise your brands and products on this site. Call


For Advert Placement and Enquiries, Call:

Mobile Phone:+234 803 304 2915


Online Editor: Michael Abimboye

Mobile Phone: 0813 699 6757



Copyright © 2018 NewTelegraph Newspaper.

%d bloggers like this: