Connect with us

Metro and Crime

Ambode suspends monarch for faking abduction

Published

on

 

Baale of Shangisha in Magodo, Chief Yusuf Ogundare, was yesterday paraded by the Lagos State Police Commissioner, Fatai Owoseni, for allegedly faking his own abduction.
Also yesterday, Governor Akinwunmi Ambode approved Ogundare’s immediate suspension and directed him to stop parading himself henceforth as the Baale of Shangisha till further notice.
The suspended monarch was accused of faking his kidnap on July 5 on the Centre for Management Development (CMD) Road in Ikosi-Isheri Local Council Development Area (LCDA).
The governor, in a memo with reference number OLGAS.83/S./Vol.1 dated July 13, addressed to the Sole Administrator of Ikosi-Isheri LCDA and signed by the Commissioner for Local Government and Community Affairs, Hon. Teslim Folami, directed Ogundare to stop parading himself henceforth as the Baale of the community.
Folami said: “I am directed to convey the approval of His Excellency, Governor Akinwunmi Ambode, of the suspension of Chief Yusuf Ogundare, Baale of Shangisha with immediate effect in accordance with Section 38, sub-section 1 of the Obas and Chiefs Law of Lagos State which states that “the governor may suspend or depose any Oba or chief whether appointed or after commencement of this law, if he is satisfied that such suspension of disposition is required according to customary law or is necessary in the interest of peace and good government.
“You are to communicate the decision to the chieftain to stop parading himself as Baale of Shangisha with immediate effect.”
Ogundare’s suspension was approved by the governor moments after the Lagos State Police Command paraded him alongside his younger brother, Mohammed Adams, for conspiring to fake the alleged kidnap.
It was learnt that Adams, on the fateful day, reported the alleged kidnap to the police.
Speaking while parading the two suspects at the State House, Alausa, Ikeja, Owoseni said the command, on July 5, received the report of Ogundare’s alleged kidnap, and immediately swung into action in collaboration with other security agencies especially the Department of State Services (DSS).
According to Owoseni, luck ran out on Ogundare when he was apprehended by men of the Rapid Response Squad (RRS) at Alausa area on July 11 after he was dropped in a suspicious manner by a car which sped off immediately.
He said: “On July 11 about 10p.m., a team of RRS patrol officers working around Alausa had sighted a vehicle drop a male adult in a suspicious manner close by Shoprite on the Secretariat Road. The speed with which that car drove off attracted them to that spot and fortunately before they got to the spot, the car had taken off and a quick enquiry revealed that it was the Baale that was allegedly kidnapped.
“Immediately after while Ogundare was being debriefed, he sold a dummy that the kidnappers dropped him off but unknown to him, it had been found out that on the 5th of July, the day he was allegedly kidnapped in Lagos, investigation had revealed that he was driving in Ibadan around Ashi; he went to Ilorin, he went to Iwo, he was just on a frolic.
“And unknown to him as well that because of information that had gotten to security services that his younger brother and his wife were being questioned and were actually in custody because of some discrepancies that were noticed in the interaction they had with security agencies, and in furtherance of the synergy existing between the police and DSS, we jointly compared notes and our findings were such that the act of the chief was despicable and amounted to crying wolf where there is none.”
Owoseni said while making reports, Adams had told security agencies that he was with the Baale at CMD Hotel when some people who claimed they wanted to buy land whisked them away and later dropped him, but investigation revealed that he (Adams) was not at any time in the hotel with the Baale but was only at the restaurant of the hotel, and after some minutes, he left, and the wife of the Baale actually drove the Venza car allegedly used to abduct the supposed victim into the hotel.
The commissioner added that after the suspects were confronted with the indisputable facts, they had no choice than to confess faking the kidnap.
Owoseni added that immediately after Ogundare was allegedly kidnapped, Adams went to the community and called the town crier to order the whole community to close shops and that markets should not open, an action aimed at inciting members of the community against government.
He said the objective of the suspects was to falsely accuse the Oba of Shangisha as the brain behind the kidnapping, which they indeed did, as a vengeance to him being installed the Oba instead of Ogundare, and also embarrassed government and as well as security agencies for arresting him (Ogundare) when he falsely displayed the number plate of Oba of Shangisha on his car.

 

 

Murital Ayinla

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro and Crime

Court dissolves 18-year-old marriage over abandonment

Published

on

An Idi-Ogungun Customary Court, Agodi, in Ibadan, on Friday dissolved the 18-year-old marriage between one Fatimo Taiwo, 35, and her husband, Lukman, on ground of abandonment.

The President of the court, Chief Mukaila Balogun, said the court was left with no option than to dissolve the marriage since the defendant had urged the court to uphold the divorce request of his wife.

Balogun said that failure of the husband to defend the allegations brought before the court further proved that he had made up his mind to end the union.

He, therefore, dissolved the marriage and gave custody of the only child of the union to the plaintiff.

The president ordered the defendant to pay N4,000 monthly allowance for the upkeep of the child.

Fatimo had prayed the court to order her husband to be responsible for the upkeep of the only child of the union.

In her testimony before the court on Friday, the plaintiff alleged that her husband was insensitive to her welfare.

“He preferred spending his money on other women so, I urge the court to separate us and direct him to perform his role as a father of the only child between us,” the plaintiff pleaded.

Responding, Lukman, 39, said he would not say anything regarding the allegations leveled against him, but urged the court to uphold the request of his wife. (NAN).

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

8 men in court for allegedly causing public nuisance

Published

on

Eight men were arraigned in a Karu Grade 1 Area Court, Abuja, for allegedly causing public nuisance within Karu, Abuja.

The defendants: Friday Ochonu, Mike Ogbole, Michael Chukwuma, Charles Eze, Mohammed Sani, Mose Ikeh, Henry Akpata and Michael Ebuka, all denied committing the offence.

The prosecutor, Vincent Osuji, told the court that the defendants, ages ranging from 19 years to 37 years, were arrested on May 16.

He said that they were arrested by a team of policemen, led by SP. Pinder Yinusa, the Area Crime Officer, attached to Karu Area Command.

According to him, following intelligent reports on criminal activities within the area; at about 11p.m. the team raided a black-spot at Ugo West, in Karu.

The prosecutor said that the offence contravened Section 198 of the Penal Code.

The judge, Hassan Ishaq, granted the defendants bail in the sum of N10, 000 each, with one surety each in like sum and adjourned the case until June 4, for hearing. (NAN)

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Soldiers, naval rating, others arrested for robbery, rape, abduction

Published

on

  • Suspect: We rape, record video for fun

Police in Oyo State yesterday paraded two military personnel and another, who deserted the Army, for criminal activities at the Police Command Headquarters, Eleyele, Ibadan, Oyo State. They were among 49 suspects paraded by the Police Commissioner, Mr. Abiodun Odude. Private Azeez Olaide (22) serving in 202 Battalion, Bama, Maiduguri, Borno State and Ibrahim Lawal (22), who deserted from the Nigerian Army Depot, Zaria, Kaduna State in 2004 were nabbed for kidnapping, robbery and rape. But a naval rating, Lance Corporal Jimoh Adesoye (28), was arrested for armed robbery, using his uniform to transport vehicles snatched by his gang to dispose them off. Adesoye confessed that he bought two vehicles which he knew were stolen.

Speaking with journalists, Odude said that the 49 suspects were arrested for sundry offences including armed robbery, conspiracy, kidnapping, impersonation, and obtaining money by false pretence. Exhibits recovered from them include 12 arms, 123 ammunition, five vehicles, nine motorcycles, military camouflage, cutlasses, jewellery, mobile phones, criminal charms generating set, and cash.

Olaide along with his accomplices, Ibrahim Lawal and Kehinde Adeniji (29) who were arrested by the Special Anti-Robbery Squad of the Oyo State Police Command with four pairs of military camouflage, a pair of military desert boots and a fake military identification card, were armed with guns, Jack knife and other dangerous weapons and abducted a man, Rasak Michael, and his girlfriend, Rashidat, at Mobil area, Oluyole, Ibadan April 31 about 5p.m.

“They took the victims to a hotel where they were kept till the next day. While in captivity, the suspects took turns to rape the female victim and videotaped the sexual escapade for purpose of blackmail in future,” the commissioner said. He also said that the victims were defrauded of large sums of money through their ATM cards, the PIN numbers of which the suspects had forcibly obtained. Olaide said: “It happened that we raped a girl and collected her money worth N145,000 and I transferred the money into my account.

We arrested a guy and his girlfriend and took them to the KSA Hotel in New Garrage where we raped his girlfriend and we recorded it. We just did it for fun; we did not mean to do anything with the video in the future.

It was myself and Ibrahim that raped the girl. I am a serving soldier and I am the one that usually give my friends soldier camouflage to use during our operations.” In his account, Adesoye confessed that he received two snatched vehicles from his accomplices and helped disposed them off. He said: “I knew the vehicles were stolen before I bought and resold them.

I know what I did was wrong, but it was Satan that led me into it.” Some of the suspects are Lateef Isa (25); Taiwo and Kehinde Yekini (23); the gang leader, Tunji Ismail (21 and Adeyemo Babajide (23). Others are Saka Jamiu (20), Akin Akin Gbade (35, the gang’s armourer from who a pump action was recovered), Mudashiru Abdullahi (29), Rasheed Adeniran (26), Lukman Jimoh (35), Dauda Lamidi (24) and Waheed Ganiyu (30), who was last December released on bail from the Abolongo Prison, Oyo. Adesoye said: “I am from Ogun State. I am a seaman in the Nigerian Navy.

What led to my arrest was that I bought two stolen vehicles from these robbery suspects. It was one of my friends who introduced me to them. When I told him that I needed a car, the man said he was an importer and exporter.

I asked my friend who bought a new car if I can get one as well. That was why he introduced me to those guys. “Though I have my personal car that I am using, I said I wanted to change it and my friend said he would connect me with a man that sold him his car. A few days later they called me that the car was ready. I have two cars from the gang and I was later aware that the cars were stolen ones. “Though I know it is not right for me to buy such cars, I am so sorry. I realise now that I am at fault on this matter.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Take advantage of our impressive online traffic; advertise your brands and products on this site. Call

 

For Advert Placement and Enquiries, Call:

Mobile Phone:+234 803 304 2915

 

Online Editor: Michael Abimboye

Mobile Phone: 0813 699 6757

Email: mmakesense@gmail.com

 

Copyright © 2018 NewTelegraph Newspaper.