Connect with us

Metro and Crime

Five die in Ondo auto accident

Published

on

Five die in Ondo auto accident

Five people, among them delegates to the National Council on Niger Delta, were feared dead in a an auto crash in Okitipupa Local Government Area of Ondo State

The delegates, whose identities were not yet ascertained, were travelling from Akure, the state capital, to Igbokoda in Ilaje Local Government Area for the summit which Vice President Yemi Osibajo was to chair.

Aside the dead, four other delegates were injured in the accident, which occurred yesterday at Ode-Aye, a sleepy town on Okitipupa-Igbokoda Road.

The accident, according to witnesses, involved three vehicles which were on their way to Igbokoda to attend the interactive session with the Vice President.

A witness said the accident occurred as a result of over speed- ing on the part of the drivers. “The accident occurred this morning (yesterday) at Ode-Aye before Okitipupa and one person has been confirmed dead.

Others are in critical conditions,” the witness said. However, the state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Mr. Femi Joseph, said only one person was killed while those injured had been rushed to the State Specialist Hospital in Okitipupa. Joseph said the accident involved three vehicles.

The PPRO, however, blamed the accident on over-speeding on the part of the drivers. He said three vehicles were involved in the accident, adding that the vehicles were damaged beyond repairs. Joseph also said that the remains of the deceased had been deposited at the mortuary of the State Specialist Hospital, Okitipupa, while the injured were also receiving treatment.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Metro and Crime

Court remands suspected kidnapper in Lagos

Published

on

Court remands suspected kidnapper in Lagos

The police in Lagos on Tuesday arraigned a 26-year-old man, Frank Amos, over alleged kidnap and dishonest receipt of N200,000 from the Lagos State Government.

Amos was brought before an Ebute Meta Chief Magistrates’ Court on a four-count charge bordering on kidnap, fraud and stealing.

The suspect pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The Prosecutor, Insp. Oladele Adebayo, told the court that the accused committed the offences sometime in April, at Itowu in Ikorodu, Lagos State.

Adebayo said that the accused had kidnapped 41-year-old Okezie Iweogu, and demanded N2 million as ransom for his release.

He said the accused had also dishonestly obtained N200,000 from the Lagos state government under the pretext that he had repented from being a kidnapper sometime in 2017.

He said that the offences contravened Sections 2 and 3 of the Kidnapping Prohibition Act Laws of Lagos State, 2017, and Sections 287 and 314 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.

The Chief Magistrate, Mr O.O. Olatunji, ordered that the accused be remanded in Ikoyi Prisons.

Olatunji further said that the case file should be forwarded to the state Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for legal advice and adjourned the till July 24 for mention. (NAN)

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Cholera kills three-year-old girl, 15 others in Kebbi, Niger

Published

on

Cholera kills three-year-old girl, 15 others in Kebbi, Niger

…67 cases recorded

 

A three-year-old girl and 15 others have lost their lives to the outbreak cholera in Kebbi and Niger states. The three-year-old girl died while seven people were being hospitalised at Hirishi in Kalgo Local Government Area of Kebbi State. Also, about 15 others were confirmed dead in Bida Local Government Area of Niger State. The girl’s father, Mallam Usman Kalgo, said his daughter died on their way to the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Birnin- Kebbi, after initial treatment at the Hirishi Health Centre. Kalgo said two of his children were infected by cholera.

 

He said: “More than 10 people from our village were vomiting and stooling. They just woke up yesterday (Sunday) and started having stomach pains. They started vomiting and stooling. “I took the complaint to the health personnel at the health centre. But after the medication, my daughter was still not well, so I decided to rush her to the FMC, Birnin-Kebbi. She later died on the way to the FMC.” Also, the health worker in charge of the Hirishi Health Centre, who did not want his name mentioned, told journalists yesterday that she treated more than seven patients.

 

 

The health worker, however, said nobody died at the centre. She said: “They brought them in this morning (yesterday) and I admitted about seven  of them. There was a baby girl that I treated and discharged, but I am not aware of her death.”

 

Also, the Commissioner for Health, Alhaji Usman Kambaza, said he was not aware of the outbreak yet because the report had not reached him. Kambaza, however, assured the people that necessary action would be taken to tackle the menace. Meanwhile, about 60 cases have been recorded since Sunday when cholera outbreak hit Niger State. A source said: “As I am talking with you now, 15 persons have so far died and we have fear that if urgent steps are not taken, there could be more deaths because there is only one doctor at the General Hospital where we have more victims.”

 

The source added that there were over 60 cases while there were six confirmed cases at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Bida. But Bida Local Government Area said yesterday that 10 people had died in the area.

 

This is contained in an official letter from the local government area signed by the Council Secretary, Suleiman Sheshi, for the chairman, addressed to the state Commissioner for Health. The letter, a copy of which was available to our correspondent, expressed regrets that as  at the time of the outbreak (Sunday) “only one medical doctor was on call at the hospital due to manpower shortage”. “The Umaru Sanda General Hospital is lacking medical consumables and adequate facilities to cater for the present ‘emergent’ health challenge.

 

Over 10 infected with the disease have been confirmed dead “The present situation at hand cannot be handled by the Bida LGA alone, part of the reason why this letter is written is to request for superior intervention from the state government. Prompt action from your part will, without any doubt, save a lot of lives presently at critical point of survival,” the letter reads in part.

 

The local government had in another letter advised the people to maintain the highest hygiene in order to avoid the spread of the outbreak. Confirming the outbreak, the Commissioner for Health, Dr. Mustapha Jibril, told New Telegraph on the phone that he would lead a team to assess the situation. Jibril added that there had been surveillance on the imminent outbreak. He said: “Last week, we told our team to improve on surveillance as there were cases of cholera outbreak in neighbouring states. of them.

 

There was a baby girl that I treated and discharged, but I am not aware of her death.” Also, the Commissioner for Health, Alhaji Usman Kambaza, said he was not aware of the outbreak yet because the report had not reached him. Kambaza, however, assured the people that necessary action would be taken to tackle the menace.

 

Meanwhile, about 60 cases have been recorded since Sunday when cholera outbreak hit Niger State. A source said: “As I am talking with you now, 15 persons have so far died and we have fear that if urgent steps are not taken, there could be more deaths because there is only one doctor at the General Hospital where we have more victims.” The source added that there were over 60 cases while there were six confirmed cases at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Bida. But Bida Local Government Area said yesterday that 10 people had died in the area.

 

This is contained in an official letter from the local government area signed by the Council Secretary, Suleiman Sheshi, for the chairman, addressed to the state Commissioner for Health. The letter, a copy of which was available to our correspondent, expressed regrets that as Dan Atori and Ahmed Idris A three-year-old girl and 15 others have lost their lives to the outbreak cholera in Kebbi and Niger states. The three-year-old girl died while seven people were being hospitalised at Hirishi in Kalgo Local Government Area of Kebbi State.

 

Also, about 15 others were confirmed dead in Bida Local Government Area of Niger State. The girl’s father, Mallam Usman Kalgo, said his daughter died on their way to the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Birnin- Kebbi, after initial treatment at the Hirishi Health Centre. Kalgo said two of his children were infected by cholera.

 

He said: “More than 10 people from our village were vomiting and stooling. They just woke up yesterday (Sunday) and started having stomach pains. They started vomiting and stooling. “I took the complaint to the health personnel at the health centre. But after the medication, my daughter was still not well, so I decided to rush her to the FMC, Birnin-Kebbi. She later died on the way to the FMC.” Also, the health worker in charge of the Hirishi Health Centre, who did not want his name mentioned, told journalists yesterday that she treated more than seven patients.

 

 

The health worker, however, said nobody died at the centre. She said: “They brought them in this morning (yesterday) and I admitted about seven “We are currently in Kano State for National Council on Health meeting but by God’s grace we will be back on Tuesday (today) and will do our best to curtail the situation as we have already sent five doctors and ambulances to Bida.”

 

Meanwhile, Bida Local Government warned against drinking of unhygienic water which is capable of spreading the disease in addition to telling residents “to be careful on the consumption of fruits already sliced for re-sale by grocers, and herbal concoction prepared under poor hygienic conditions. “Person or persons suspected to have contacted cholera should be rushed to nearby hospitals for treatment without delays. On no account should home treatment be used as an option.”

 

The second statement also signed by Sheshi, warned that: “Whoever handles or has any form of contact with cholera patient should properly wash their hands with soap and detergents. Where these are not available, ashes should be used to wash the hands thoroughly.” In the last couple of weeks, cholera has spread to Kaduna, Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Kano, Plateau, Yobe, Nasarawa, Anambra, Zamfara, Kebbi and Niger states, among others.

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

‘Police didn’t shoot anybody at Ado Bayero Shopping Mall’

Published

on

‘Police didn’t shoot anybody at Ado Bayero Shopping Mall’

Police in Kano State have denied shooting and injuring four persons at Ado Bayero Shopping Mall in Kano metropolis on Sunday.

The police said those who sustained injuries were running away from pandemonium.

 

The state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) told our correspondent that there was a huge crowd trying to gain entry into the shopping mall as part of Sallah celebration but became violent when the people were not allowed in. The people, according to the police, resulted throwing stones and burning tyres, forcing the police to chase them away. But witnesses said four people were shot by Mobile policemen on guard duty at the shopping mall.

One of the victims, Malam Yusuf Adamu (28), businessman at Sabon Geri market, who a bullet pierced through his right thigh, said he passed out after he was hit by the bullet.

Continue Reading

Trending

Take advantage of our impressive online traffic; advertise your brands and products on this site. Call

 

For Advert Placement and Enquiries, Call:

Mobile Phone:+234 803 304 2915

 

Online Editor: Michael Abimboye

Mobile Phone: 0813 699 6757

Email: mmakesense@gmail.com

 

Copyright © 2018 NewTelegraph Newspaper.

%d bloggers like this: