Connect with us

News

UK pledges support to Nigeria, neighbours to defeat Boko Haram

Published

on

 

The United Kingdom government has reiterated its support to Nigeria and neighbouring countries to defeat the destructive Boko Haram terrorists in the Northeast and the Lake Chad Basin region.

The country’s Permanent Representative to the UN, Matthew Rycroft, made the pledge in his statement on Wednesday at the Security Council briefing on the Lake Chad Basin.

Rycroft said it was clear that the Security Council members should all redouble their efforts to implement the commitments that they made in resolution 2349 against Boko Haram.

“The UK will play our part. We remain committed to partnering with Nigeria and its neighbours to degrade and defeat Boko Haram.

“We remain committed to helping people in need in the region, having scaled up our humanitarian support to 130 million dollars this year.

“We also announced an additional 260 million over four years, as part of the North East Nigeria Transition to Development programme.

“But we all need to play our part in the Nigeria Humanitarian Fund launched in February with an appeal for one billion dollars this year.

“As of last month that appeal is less than half funded. As the Secretary-General’s report makes clear, insufficient funding from the donor community continues to limit the provision of food aid, development and recovery activities.

“And just as the international community must act, so too should governments in the region.

“We look to the Government of Nigeria and affected countries to provide greater resources where they can and to further prioritise the humanitarian response.

“We also call on them to expedite all remaining registrations for humanitarian organisations in the region, as the Secretary-General’s report notes.

“We welcome the increased civil-military coordination in the humanitarian effort and urge this to continue,” he said.

Rycroft, however, regretted that six months on from the visit of Security Council Fact Finding Mission to the Lake Chad Basin, the situation remained deeply troubling.

“Yes, Boko Haram has been degraded, yes territory has been reclaimed, but Boko Haram is far from a spent force. They are down but not out, shifting their tactics from land grabs to opportunistic attacks.

“Maiduguri now faces weekly suicide attacks, many from girls forced to be suicide bombers. Over 400 people have been killed since we visited.

“Boko Haram’s shameful, sickening abductions of young women and girls continues unabated.

“Those that return continue to face stigma and discrimination, which is why the UK will host a ministerial event here on the 18th of September to launch a new set of global principles to tackle such stigma.

“The continuing barbarity is only exacerbating the humanitarian crises. Since we visited, the number of Nigerians seeking refuge in neighbouring countries has only marginally decreased.

“Nearly two million people are still displaced in North East Nigeria and over eight million in need of urgent, life-saving assistance.

“And while the numbers of forced returns have fallen, we have seen thousands of people pressured back into areas where they don’t feel safe,” the UK envoy said.

According to him, it is clear that a long term solution will only be found through addressing the root causes which led to Boko Haram’s emergence.

“That, I think, was the main lesson for many of us on our visit. That search for the longer term root causes requires a regional plan to address the political, economic, governance, transparency and accountability issues.

“So we support calls for greater funding to strengthen the UN’s monitoring presence on the ground.

“In short, Mr President, there is a lot more that all of us need to do. Six months on from our visit, we cannot afford to lose focus,” he said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

News

Sanusi, Miyetti Allah laud Fayose over anti-grazing law

Published

on

The Emir of Kano, Alhaji Mohammed Sanusi 11 and the National President of the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN), Alhaji Muhammadu Kiruwa, have commended the Ekiti State Governor, Chief Ayodele Fayose for enacting anti-open grazing law in the state. They said the law would cater for the well-being of parties involved, especially the herders, farmers and host communities among others.

They spoke in Ado-Ekiti yesterday during a stakeholders’ meeting held at the Government House in Ado-Ekiti, the state capital. The Emir, who is a patron of the MACBAN, was represented by a former Kano State governor and Sarduana of Kano Mallam Ibrahim Shekarau. Sanusi, who spoke through Shekarau frowned at a situation whereby some criminal elements would hide under grazing of herd to perpetrate crimes.

He said: “My mission is not politics and it is about peace and peaceful coexistence of our nation. I am standing in here for the Emir and I am the Sarduana of Kano. The Emir mandated me to come over here with the leadership of Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association and find out how we can work amicably.” But Fayose said “I also appreciate and commend our leader, Emir of Kano, and the Sultan of Sokoto.

They are life savers. I want all of you, irrespective of tribe to trust us as leaders. “Part of the problem of Nigeria is lack of trust as a result of misinformation and distrust and sometimes politics we have been divided against one another. Let me tell you today when governors of any party see each other, we hug and drink together. Whenever Buhari and I see, we will remain friends, don’t die for politicians.

“If you have correct money, you will not be cattle herder. You would prefer living abroad. It is out of fate and condition of your families that makes you this. To be a farmer is not easy, it involves a lot of hard labour. You have to be wise people and remember that you can do better than carrying arms. Any person or politician who has fear of God cannot carry arms to kill anyone.

Continue Reading

News

FCTA loses N3bn from outdoor advertising

Published

on

The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) loses about N3billion annually, due to its inability to organize its outdoor advertising sector towards effective internally generated revenue.

 

These facts to the came when the Department of Outdoor Advertising and Signage (DOAS) toured some major shopping malls in the city centre.

 

Deputy Director of DOAS, Hassan Abubakar, who led the team that carried out the unscheduled tour, further displayed the frustration of his agency towards taking advantage in the vast opportunities presented in the industry to boost its IGR, when he lamented how residents were not complying in paying their taxes and other outdoor advertising fees.

 

Abubakar, unwittingly lamented that illegally mounted billboards and Signages in some strategy positions within the city, have continued to litter the highways and streets of the territory without any recourse to the regulations.

 

“Long range visibility is impaired with resultant accidents at major junctions due to sight blockcelebrating ages by billboards and outdoor advertisement posts.’

 

“Painfully, we found that the existing administrative structure charged with the duty of regulating these practices was weak and in some cases, there were multiple standards as well as conflicting administering agencies,” he said.

 

However, the Director said the administration was working to reverse the situation, with the setting up of a taskforce team to coordinate Outdoor advertising.

 

According to him, the mandate of the body was to provide a standard for the control and regulation of advertisement and signage practice in FCT by ensuring global best practice, improving internal revenue and stemming the observed chaos

Continue Reading

National news

Buhari, APC ‘trashed’ my husband after 2015 polls – Tinubu’s wife

Published

on

Senator Oluremi Tinubu, the wife of the national leader of the All Progressives Congress, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, has decried that her husband was “trashed” after the party won the 2015 elections.

Mrs Tinubu revealed this when she featured on Your View, a breakfast show of Television Continental, where she alleged that Tinubu was sidelined despite his efforts towards ensuring that APC won the polls.

“He was campaigning, I did too. We were running three campaigns in my house. And for him to be trashed like that? But I saw somebody who has love for this country. I hate to speak because when I stand in the front of God, I don’t want, because of this man, go to hell.

“Occasionally, I would chip in and I would say, ‘You’re still helping out? Why are you helping out?’ He would say, ‘This country matters to me more,’” she said.

Recall that President Muhammadu Buhari had mandated Tinubu to reconcile aggrieved party members ahead of the 2019 general elections, an assignment the former governor of Lagos State has since begun.

 

Mrs. Tinubu, however, pointed out that despite that the Buhari-led administration was now under massive criticisms, the President remained “the candidate to beat” in the forthcoming poll.

She said, “Change takes only one person to champion. And you need leadership. For me, Buhari is still the candidate to beat. Leadership is inspirational. Management is technical. If you have all the degrees and you’re smart and savvy, it is not about leadership. How many people are you inspiring?

“And Buhari, how many years has he been there? I am not campaigning for him. I am not; because I have looked at the dynamics; the poor still trust him. I will tell you: when it comes to integrity, Buhari has it. I don’t know about now.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Take advantage of our impressive online traffic; advertise your brands and products on this site. Call

 

For Advert Placement and Enquiries, Call:

Mobile Phone:+234 803 304 2915

 

Online Editor: Michael Abimboye

Mobile Phone: 0813 699 6757

Email: mmakesense@gmail.com

 

Copyright © 2018 NewTelegraph Newspaper.

%d bloggers like this: