Connect with us

Top Stories

BREAKING: Reps change order of 2019 election

Published

on

Barely a month after the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) released the timetable for the 2019 general elections, the House of Representatives has amended the electoral act to change the order of elections.
With the latest amendment, the National Assembly election is to hold first, followed by gubernatorial and state assembly with the presidential election billed to be conducted last.
The amendment was effected Tuesday at the committee of the whole while considering the report of the House committee on electoral matters on the proposed amendment to the electoral act 2010.
Recall that in the timetable released by INEC, the presidential election is to hold first,

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

How soldiers starved, raped women in IDP camps –AI

Published

on

Thousands of women who fled their homes to escape the bloody onslaught of Boko Haram terrorists in the North-East of Nigeria have accused the Nigerian security forces deployed to rescue them of taking undue advantage of them and subjecting them to starvation and sexual exploitation.

In a new report to be released today and obtained by New Telegraph, global human rights watchdog, Amnesty International (AI) said that rather than receiving protection from the troops deployed for counter-terrorism, these displaced women and young girls have been forced to succumb to rape in exchange for food.

The damning report, titled: “They Betrayed Us,” reveals how the Nigerian military personnel and Civilian Joint Task Force (Civilian JTF) – a militia group working alongside the troops separated women from their husbands and confined them in remote “satellite camps” where they have been subjected to all forms of inhuman treatment.

Director, Amnesty International Nigeria, Osai Ojigho, claimed that his organisation has evidence that thousands of people have been starved to death in the Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) camps in the war-ravaged zone since 2015.

“It is absolutely shocking that people who had already suffered so much under Boko Haram have been condemned to further horrendous abuse by the Nigerian military. Instead of receiving protection from the authorities, women and girls have been forced to succumb to rape in order to avoid starvation or hunger.

“Sex in these highly coercive circumstances is always rape, even when physical force is not used, and Nigerian soldiers and Civilian JTF members have been getting away with it. They act like they don’t risk sanction, but the perpetrators and their superiors who have allowed this to go unchallenged have committed crimes under international law and must be held to account,” said Osai Ojigho.

According to the report, the military engaged in gross abuse of human rights as troops ordered people living in rural villages to the satellite camps, in some cases indiscriminately killing those who remained in their homes.

The report also stated that the military screened everyone arriving at the satellite camps, and in some locations detained most men and boys aged between 14 and 40 as well as women who travelled unaccompanied by their husbands.

The detention of so many men has left women to care for their families alone.

The report contained the testimonies of several women, describing how they were raped and subsequently coerced into becoming mistresses or “girlfriends” to the soldiers which involved being available for sex on a regular basis.

Ama (not her real name), a 20-year-old woman narrated her ordeal in the hands of the soldiers thus: “They will give you food, but in the evening, they will come back about 5p.m. or 6p.m and they will tell you to come with them… One (Civilian JTF) man came and brought food to me. The next day, he said I should take water from his place (and I went). He then closed the tent door behind me and raped me. He said I gave you these things, if you want them, we have to be husband and wife.”

Ten others in the same camp said that they were also coerced into becoming “girlfriends” of security officials to save themselves from starvation. Most of these women had already lost children or other relatives due to lack of food, water and healthcare in the camp.
The sexual exploitation continues at an alarming level as women remain desperate to access sufficient food and livelihood opportunities.

Women said the sexual exploitation follows an organised system, with sol   diers openly coming into the camp for sex and Civilian JTF members choosing the “very beautiful” women and girls to take to the soldiers outside. Women reported they were too afraid to refuse demands for sex, the report stated.

Amnesty International said it interviewed several witnesses at the camps who consistently reported that 15 to 30 people died each day from hunger and sickness between 2015 and 2016.

It also claimed that it got satellite images, showing how the graveyard inside the camp expanded quickly in these camps during this period.

A number of women who arrived in satellite camps in Dikwa town in mid-2017 have not received any food assistance since they arrived and described ongoing hunger, sickness and deaths within their camps.

Yanna (not her real name), who arrived in Dikwa in late-2017 and lived in Fulatari camp, told Amnesty International: “People are dying, (always there is a) burial, burial, burial. I was thinking maybe one day it will be my own.”

Zara (not her real name) said that rape by the soldiers and members of the Civilian JTF was common. She told Amnesty International of other cases she was aware of, including one where her neighbour accepted money from a soldier.

“He came back in the afternoon and met her sitting with her in-laws. He was looking at their faces one after the other to identify whom he gave money to. So he finally saw her and took her away with him… and had sex with her by force.”

Twenty-five-year-old Kale (not her real name) told Amnesty International she was raped on two occasions in the camp. She said: “There was a day (in or around April 2016), I was pregnant, and a soldier raped me. He knew I was five or six months pregnant. He said he saw me three times before. He didn’t offer me any food, he called me and I ignored him, but on the third day (after I ignored him), he forced me to a room and raped me.”

Kale said that she was also raped by another soldier when trying to collect water outside the camp: “Five of us went together, all of us were raped; the soldiers took us one by one when we came out of the camp. We told the other women and they said we won’t go to fetch water unless we are in a group of 20 or 30. We decided to go in large groups, so nobody touched us. But when we were just few, they raped us. It had happened to others as well.”

Thirty-year-old Miriam (not her real name), said to Amnesty International that when she arrived in the camp in late 2015, soldiers and Civilian JTF members stole the food meant for them, forcing women to have sex to access supplies.

She said: “First, we had some money which we brought from our vil       lage. Then we sold all of our jewellery to buy food. Sometimes we were not given the food (intended for them), you will see they are even selling the food. They would bring a quarter (of the food meant for us) and sell the rest…

“If you want anything, they will tell you that you have to offer yourself. They will then give you food, when you offer yourself.”

Fanalpa (not her real name) told Amnesty International how she was forced to be the “girlfriend” of a member of the Civilian JTF and a soldier.

According to the report, she had arrived in the camp with her two children, one of whom died. She gave birth to a third child who also died a few months later, in early 2016.

Hence, she was desperate to find food for herself and her surviving child. She said: “People don’t have money to give (to soldiers or Civilian JTF for food), but a woman can offer herself, no money, just that.”

Fanalpa related that the soldier took her every two or three days for sex, to which she acquiesced out of desperation: “There is a military room inside the camp, maybe 120 metres away; there is a house that they gave to the military. He will invite me and I will go around eight and come back around one in the night, he will have sex two or three times. The soldier doesn’t stop. Even some of the other women will be called… If they see a woman bathing and she is pretty, they will call her.”

Thirty-year-old Khadeeja (not her real name) said five of her family members died in the camp from hunger and sickness.

She told Amnesty International that women approached by soldiers and Civilian JTF members could not afford to refuse demands for sex: “If you say you are a woman and that you will stay with your family, you will die and your children will die. You have to be the ‘girlfriend’ of a Civilian JTF. If you are a ‘girlfriend’, you get everything. If you don’t, you won’t get anything. There is no food or water unless you are a ‘girlfriend’ of the Civilian JTF.”

Thirty-year-old Halima (not her real name) described to Amnesty International how she was approached for sex by a soldier who had been involved in torturing her husband by beating him while he was suspended from the ceiling during interrogation on their arrival in Bama prison.
She said: “(He) started coming to me, he said he loves me and that my husband won’t come back as he is in Giwa… He would bring food, chicken and yam to me. He says I am his ‘wife’… The soldiers are kings in Bama, when you see them, everybody is afraid. They decide, they say nobody should complain, so I did what he wanted… That time, the majority of women were taken by the soldiers. They take (for sex) who they like and leave what they don’t like.”

Women have not been allowed to return to their villages of origin. Several told Amnesty International that they were desperate to return, either to escape the camp, and/or because they wanted to reunite with family members who had remained behind and who, in some cases, they had not seen for several years.

Although the United Nations and several humanitarian organisations have increased their assistance to victims of the crisis, large-scale corruption has prevented many people from accessing food, water and medicines.

Ojigh argued that confining people to camps without enough food, despite the fact that those administering the camps knew the conditions were leading to deaths, was a violation of human rights and international humanitarian law.

 

 

Continue Reading

News

FG: Wike is abusing immunity

Published

on

Nyesom Wike

Rivers gov: You don’t care about human lives

 

The Federal Government has accused the governor of Rivers State, Nyesom Wike, of abusing the privileges of immunity as a public officer.

 

Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed stated this yesterday while brief- ing State House Correspondents after the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari.

 

The minister was reacting to an allegation by Wike that the All Progressives Congress (APC)-led government was plotting to assassinate him.

Mohammed, who debunked the claim by Wike, explained that the Rivers State Governor has the freedom to express his opinion.

He said: “As to the question about the allegation by the governor of Rivers that he has information that he will be assassinated by the Federal Government in a crowd; I think one of the beauty of being a governor is that you enjoy immunity from prosecution and arrest. Because, I remember a couple of years ago when I made similar allegations, I was invited to Force Headquarters.”

While raising the alarm on the plot to assassinate him, Wike had hinged it on desperate politicians whom he said will stop at nothing to cling onto power.

Wike insisted that the threat to his life was real, as the intelligence report at his disposal was cogent and valid, saying, “It is true that my life is under threat. What I said is true. As a governor, I cannot just wake up and say my life is threatened.”

The governor said his travails started when he uncovered the plot by the police to raid his residence in Abuja with the sinister intent to plant incriminating evidence against him.

In swift reaction to the comments by the Information Minister, Wike accused the Federal Government of caring less for the lives of Nigerians.

The governor, in a statement by his Special Assistant on Electronic Media, Simeon Nwakaudu, said that people are being slaughtered daily across Nigeria because the Federal Government does not care about the protection of lives and property.

Wike said it is unfortunate that the Federal Government will trivialize an issue of this sensitive nature.

The Rivers State Governor said because the Federal Government has relegated the sanctity of human lives, that is why they give conflicting reasons for the security challenges that have led to wanton killings in different parts of the country.

“They don’t care about the issue of the protection of lives and property. That is why people are killed in their numbers every day.

“But I will not be slaughtered easily. They will not succeed in their plot,” Wike said.

The governor expressed shock that rather than say that this weighty intelligence report will be duly investigated, the minister is struggling to trivialize the matter.

Wike said that there are laid down constitutional processes of handling weighty issues of this nature, pointing out that it is unfortunate that the Federal Government has deliberately refused to follow the constitutional path.

Continue Reading

News

Presidency faults AI’s verdict on Nigerian military

Published

on

The presidency has faulted a report due to be launched by the Amnesty International (AI) alleging human rights violation by Nigerian military and other security agencies.

Protesters yesterday stormed the office of Amnesty International in Abuja, accusing the human rights group of blackmailing the military.

Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to the President, Garba Shehu, in a statement yesterday, said the report was inherently battling with credibility, falling vehemently short of evidential narration.

He said: “It is short on credibility because it does not contain factual leads that could have laid the foundation for investigative actions.

“Findings are attributed to people, but proper description of such people constituting the source of information is not provided.”

Amnesty International, the presidency said, claimed that engagement was made with Nigerian authorities without clarity of such.

Shehu wondered “which authority is it, is not provided with clarity. This then is just a wild goose chase report, in essence.”

He continued: “In some breath, the report seemed like the one in 2015, and the one in 2016, and the one after that year, the same things being recycled again and again.

“It ignores the fact of the existing mechanisms put in place by the military, as a self-correcting step and the high-level committee constituted by the Presidency to examine any such claims.

“Over this period of time, the Nigerian military had, indeed, established cases of abuse and punishments meted out from Orderly Room trials and Court Martials that resulted in losses of rank, dismissals, and trials and convictions by civil courts.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Take advantage of our impressive online traffic; advertise your brands and products on this site. Call

 

For Advert Placement and Enquiries, Call:

Mobile Phone:+234 803 304 2915

 

Online Editor: Michael Abimboye

Mobile Phone: 0813 699 6757

Email: mmakesense@gmail.com

 

Copyright © 2018 NewTelegraph Newspaper.