Connect with us

News

Buhari: I’ll prosecute perpetrators of Rivers, Kaduna killings

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered the immediate investigation of killings in both Rivers and Kaduna states on New Year day.

The president, in a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, expressed shock and outrage at reports of the killings in Omoku, Rivers State and a traditional ruler, the Etum Numana, Dr. Gambo Makama, and his wife in Sango Local Government Area of Kaduna State. The president, who described the incidents as “reprehensible and unacceptable,” directed law enforcement agencies in both states to intensify their current efforts in order to speedily bring the perpetrators to face the wrath of the law. “I have always maintained that nothing justifies the taking of the life of an innocent person.

People in our communities must learn to live peacefully,” he said. Buhari appealed to the communities affected not to embark on reprisals, but allow the security agencies to carry out comprehensive investigations to properly punish the culprits.

He commiserated with the families of the victims and wished the injured faster recovery. Meanwhile, the president has assured that the Federal Government will investigate and bring to book all perpetrators of mayhem across the country.

He stated this yesterday at separate meetings with the Qadiriyya Muslim Movement in Africa and the Izalatul-Bid’a-Wa- Iqamatus- Sunnah at the Presidential Villa, Abuja,  said that no religion or civilised culture tolerates violence, especially the taking of another life. Buhari said anyone or group of persons who unleash violence on the innocent in the name of a movement, cause or religion lack understanding of the ordinances of God.

His words: “You can’t kill to please God. I know no religion tolerates the taking of another person’s life in the name of a religious movement. “There is never a justification for killing any member of the society. We have been tackling the Boko Haram menace and we have made significant impact and we will extend the measures to stop wanton killings.”

The president said the security apparatus will be consistently reviewed to check threats to the peaceful co-existence of all Nigerians and ensure the safety of lives and properties.

Buhari told the delegation that his political party, the All Progressives Congress (APC), campaigned on three issues, noting that his government had been consistent in ensuring that it provides adequate security, fight corruption and stimulate the economy for creation of jobs. “Our priority is to also ensure that everyone in the country has something to eat. We are really concerned about the underprivileged.

“Graciously, God has been hearing our prayers. In the past two years, we have had bountiful harvest due to favourable conditions. All over the country, we have reports of farmers posting good harvests,” he said. On corruption, the president said security agencies will continue to expand their dragnets to ensure that sanity is restored into public offices.

“Justice will be done to all in the war against corruption. As religious leaders, I urge you to reach backwards to your followers to respect the rights of others. Those that stole from the public can no longer sleep well in the country today. When they run abroad, they cannot take their landed assets with them. We will, in all cases, have them return what they looted,” he added.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News Around Nigeria

School feeding: Vendors steal 200 crates of eggs, yam, rice in Niger

Published

on

A desk officer has been caught with 200 crates of eggs stolen from the store of food meant for pupils in the homegrown feeding of primary school pupils in Niger state.

While responding to questions on Thursday at a post Exco briefing, the Commissioner for Women Affairs, Barrister Amina Musa disclosed that the person involved has been reported to the State Security Service (SSS) for further action.

Speaking on the implementation of the programme in the state, she said over 560,499 pupils benefited from the programme in the state while 4,929 food vendors have been engaged.

According to her “my ministry has organised stakeholders meeting to ensure elimination of challenges and I have also warned vendors to desist from stealing food and other condiments.

“We also gathered that some tubers of yam and rice were stolen thereby reducing the ration for schools. Luckily, we eventually discovered and recovered the items.”

She added that N392,300,000 was allocated to the state by the presidency for a period of ten days.

Barrister Musa also disclosed that the free feeding programme has led to increases in school enrolment of pupils in the state.

She said that the programme has also boosted the economic empowerment of farmers and women in the state due to the patronage of local food items while several women were engaged as cooks.

Continue Reading

News

Lawmaker cart away with mace in Gombe

Published

on

mace

A member of the Gombe State House of Assembly representing Akko West state constituency Alhaji Abdullah‎ Abubakar in an attempt to impeach the Minority Leader of the assembly took away the mace and run away with it during plenary

Our correspondent gathered that the Minority Leader, Mohammed Usman Haruna was reported to have held a press conference on May 5th, soon after the Ward Congress, where he condemned the processes of the Ward Congress of the All Progressives Congress in the State.

It was revealed that consequent upon this development, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), dominated assembly, felt aggrieved with the move by the minority leader and began the process of impeaching him.

However, during the process for the impeachment, it was gathered that five out of the eight members who signed for the impeachment, one signed for and against the impeachment and when asked why he did so, he said he was forced to sign the motion for the impeachment under duress.

Based on this development, which split the members equally, it was obvious that the impeachment would not hold. This led one of the members, Abdullahi Abubakar, to take the mace, at about 1:12 pm.

The lawmaker was said to have been assisted by another member, Mohammed Bello, from Gombe South state constituency to escape with the mace.

Bello was reported to have escaped through the door with the mace, while Bello held the door to keep the other members of the assembly from taking the mace back from him.

The officials of the assembly are yet to address the press as at the time of filing this report.

Continue Reading

News

Govs, Ministers shun Fayemi governorship campaign committee inauguration

Published

on

Kayode Fayemi

Governors of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and members of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) shunned the inauguration of the governorship campaign committee of the Minister of Solid Minerals, Dr. Kayode Fayemi.

Fayemi is the APC flag bearer for the Ekiti State governorship election slated for July 14. He defeated 32 other aspirants to emerge.

The governors who were to be in attendance at the inauguration were: Abubakar Atiku Bagudu (Kebbi), Chairman, Akinwunmi Dapo Ambode (Lagos), Sen. Ibukunle Amosun (Ogun), Sen. Abiola Ajimobi (Oyo), Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola (Osun), Olaritimi Akeredolu (Ondo), SAN, Abdulfatah Ahmed (Kwara), AbdulAzeez Yari (Zamfara), Godwin Obaseki (Edo), Yahaya Bello (Kogi), Mohammad Badaru Abubakar (Jigawa), Simon Lalong (Plateau), Kassim Shettima (Borno) and Mohammed Umar Jibrilla (Adamawa).

Only the governor of Ondo State and Deputy chairman of the campaign committee, Rotimi Akeredolu was present.

The Ministers who are part of the campaign committee are: Manir Dan-Ali (Defence), Abdulraham Dambazzua (Interior), Bawa Bwari Abubakar (State, Solid Minerals), Ibe Kachikwu (State, Petroleum), Babatunde Fashola (Power, Works and Housing), Rotimi Ameachi (Transport), Chris Ngige (Labour) and Isaac Adewole (Health). Only the Ministers of Health and Labour attended the inauguration.

Of a total number of 77 committee members, not up to 30 persons were in attendance at the inauguration.

However, most of the governors were in Abuja yesterday as the National Convention Committee had inaugurated its sub-committees on Wednesday where most of them were present.

Governors Abiola Ajimobi (Oyo State) and Abubakar Bagudu (Jigawa State) came to APC National Secretariat in Abuja after the inauguration. They came irrespective of the National Convention.

Ajimobi is the chairman of the Sub-Committee on Media of the National Convention Committee, while Bagudu is the chairman of the Convention Committee.

While inaugurating the campaign committee, Deputy National Chairman (North), Senator Lawal Shuaibu said the election in Ekiti was too important to the party to begin to engage in hate speech as a campaign weapon, stressing that “even if other parties will engage in hate speech, you should concentrate on winning the election.”

He said the party will not relent in its efforts to recapture the state, adding that “to show you the importance we place on the Ekiti election, I want to inform you that this election is just a little below the presidential election to us.”

Responding on behalf of the chairman, Ondo state governor, Rotimi Akeredolu said they take the task assigned to them as very important, stressing that “this is not the first time the importance of this election has been emphasized. When those of us from the south-west met with the President, he stressed the importance of the election.

“It’s importance is very great to us in the south-west and it is a task that must be accomplished. We will map out strategies to win the election because we have faced many affronts and so many challenges had been thrown at us by Fayose.

“My brother, Ayo Fayose who is there has thrown a lot of challenges at us and we must be united to confront that challenge and if we failed in this task, it means that we a not serious as a party.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Take advantage of our impressive online traffic; advertise your brands and products on this site. Call

 

For Advert Placement and Enquiries, Call:

Mobile Phone:+234 803 304 2915

 

Online Editor: Michael Abimboye

Mobile Phone: 0813 699 6757

Email: mmakesense@gmail.com

 

Copyright © 2018 NewTelegraph Newspaper.