Connect with us

Metro and Crime

Four Nigerians hospitalised, shops burnt in fresh South African attacks

Published

on

The Nigerian Community in South Africa says four members are in critical condition in the hospital while some shops have been burnt in renewed attacks by South Africans.

Paul Nwanedo, chairman, Nigerian Union, North West Province chapter told the News Agency of Nigeria on the telephone from Rustenburg that the attacks against Nigerians began on Sunday.

He said that taxi drivers in Rustenburg alleged that a Nigerian abducted and raped a 16-year-old South African girl and also alleged that Nigerians sold drugs to a local gang that attacked their members.

“This is absolutely untrue. We have investigated and found out that the allegations are false. The union is worried about the safety of our members in Rustenburg,” he said.

Mr. Nwanedo said that four Nigerians caught by the taxi drivers were beaten and are in critical condition in the hospital while some shops belonging to Nigerians had been torched.

“As I speak to you, we are afraid because the attacks have continued and our members are still in hiding.

“We have reported to the police and our national secretariat. We want the safety of lives and property of our people,” he said.

Adetola Olubajo, President of the union, said that the national secretariat had been informed about the incident at Rustenburg.

“Investigation by the union shows that no Nigerians abducted or raped a South African girl. Indeed, no Nigerian has been arrested for the offence and we are worried about the turn of events.

“The lives and property of our citizens in Rustenburg are in danger and there is an urgent need for intervention. We appeal to our mission and Federal government to intervene urgently and save the situation,” Mr. Olubajo said.

The spokesman of the police in Rustenburg, Sabata Mokgwabone, said the reason for the violent protest was unclear but confirmed that “the burnt houses are those occupied by foreign nationals,”

North West Provincial Commissioner of Police, Baile Motswenyane, called on the public to work with law enforcement officials.

“Those who are doing this must know that they are committing a crime and drastic action will be taken, including against our own members who are involved in criminal activities,” he said.

(NAN)

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro and Crime

Court dissolves 18-year-old marriage over abandonment

Published

on

An Idi-Ogungun Customary Court, Agodi, in Ibadan, on Friday dissolved the 18-year-old marriage between one Fatimo Taiwo, 35, and her husband, Lukman, on ground of abandonment.

The President of the court, Chief Mukaila Balogun, said the court was left with no option than to dissolve the marriage since the defendant had urged the court to uphold the divorce request of his wife.

Balogun said that failure of the husband to defend the allegations brought before the court further proved that he had made up his mind to end the union.

He, therefore, dissolved the marriage and gave custody of the only child of the union to the plaintiff.

The president ordered the defendant to pay N4,000 monthly allowance for the upkeep of the child.

Fatimo had prayed the court to order her husband to be responsible for the upkeep of the only child of the union.

In her testimony before the court on Friday, the plaintiff alleged that her husband was insensitive to her welfare.

“He preferred spending his money on other women so, I urge the court to separate us and direct him to perform his role as a father of the only child between us,” the plaintiff pleaded.

Responding, Lukman, 39, said he would not say anything regarding the allegations leveled against him, but urged the court to uphold the request of his wife. (NAN).

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

8 men in court for allegedly causing public nuisance

Published

on

Eight men were arraigned in a Karu Grade 1 Area Court, Abuja, for allegedly causing public nuisance within Karu, Abuja.

The defendants: Friday Ochonu, Mike Ogbole, Michael Chukwuma, Charles Eze, Mohammed Sani, Mose Ikeh, Henry Akpata and Michael Ebuka, all denied committing the offence.

The prosecutor, Vincent Osuji, told the court that the defendants, ages ranging from 19 years to 37 years, were arrested on May 16.

He said that they were arrested by a team of policemen, led by SP. Pinder Yinusa, the Area Crime Officer, attached to Karu Area Command.

According to him, following intelligent reports on criminal activities within the area; at about 11p.m. the team raided a black-spot at Ugo West, in Karu.

The prosecutor said that the offence contravened Section 198 of the Penal Code.

The judge, Hassan Ishaq, granted the defendants bail in the sum of N10, 000 each, with one surety each in like sum and adjourned the case until June 4, for hearing. (NAN)

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Soldiers, naval rating, others arrested for robbery, rape, abduction

Published

on

  • Suspect: We rape, record video for fun

Police in Oyo State yesterday paraded two military personnel and another, who deserted the Army, for criminal activities at the Police Command Headquarters, Eleyele, Ibadan, Oyo State. They were among 49 suspects paraded by the Police Commissioner, Mr. Abiodun Odude. Private Azeez Olaide (22) serving in 202 Battalion, Bama, Maiduguri, Borno State and Ibrahim Lawal (22), who deserted from the Nigerian Army Depot, Zaria, Kaduna State in 2004 were nabbed for kidnapping, robbery and rape. But a naval rating, Lance Corporal Jimoh Adesoye (28), was arrested for armed robbery, using his uniform to transport vehicles snatched by his gang to dispose them off. Adesoye confessed that he bought two vehicles which he knew were stolen.

Speaking with journalists, Odude said that the 49 suspects were arrested for sundry offences including armed robbery, conspiracy, kidnapping, impersonation, and obtaining money by false pretence. Exhibits recovered from them include 12 arms, 123 ammunition, five vehicles, nine motorcycles, military camouflage, cutlasses, jewellery, mobile phones, criminal charms generating set, and cash.

Olaide along with his accomplices, Ibrahim Lawal and Kehinde Adeniji (29) who were arrested by the Special Anti-Robbery Squad of the Oyo State Police Command with four pairs of military camouflage, a pair of military desert boots and a fake military identification card, were armed with guns, Jack knife and other dangerous weapons and abducted a man, Rasak Michael, and his girlfriend, Rashidat, at Mobil area, Oluyole, Ibadan April 31 about 5p.m.

“They took the victims to a hotel where they were kept till the next day. While in captivity, the suspects took turns to rape the female victim and videotaped the sexual escapade for purpose of blackmail in future,” the commissioner said. He also said that the victims were defrauded of large sums of money through their ATM cards, the PIN numbers of which the suspects had forcibly obtained. Olaide said: “It happened that we raped a girl and collected her money worth N145,000 and I transferred the money into my account.

We arrested a guy and his girlfriend and took them to the KSA Hotel in New Garrage where we raped his girlfriend and we recorded it. We just did it for fun; we did not mean to do anything with the video in the future.

It was myself and Ibrahim that raped the girl. I am a serving soldier and I am the one that usually give my friends soldier camouflage to use during our operations.” In his account, Adesoye confessed that he received two snatched vehicles from his accomplices and helped disposed them off. He said: “I knew the vehicles were stolen before I bought and resold them.

I know what I did was wrong, but it was Satan that led me into it.” Some of the suspects are Lateef Isa (25); Taiwo and Kehinde Yekini (23); the gang leader, Tunji Ismail (21 and Adeyemo Babajide (23). Others are Saka Jamiu (20), Akin Akin Gbade (35, the gang’s armourer from who a pump action was recovered), Mudashiru Abdullahi (29), Rasheed Adeniran (26), Lukman Jimoh (35), Dauda Lamidi (24) and Waheed Ganiyu (30), who was last December released on bail from the Abolongo Prison, Oyo. Adesoye said: “I am from Ogun State. I am a seaman in the Nigerian Navy.

What led to my arrest was that I bought two stolen vehicles from these robbery suspects. It was one of my friends who introduced me to them. When I told him that I needed a car, the man said he was an importer and exporter.

I asked my friend who bought a new car if I can get one as well. That was why he introduced me to those guys. “Though I have my personal car that I am using, I said I wanted to change it and my friend said he would connect me with a man that sold him his car. A few days later they called me that the car was ready. I have two cars from the gang and I was later aware that the cars were stolen ones. “Though I know it is not right for me to buy such cars, I am so sorry. I realise now that I am at fault on this matter.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Take advantage of our impressive online traffic; advertise your brands and products on this site. Call

 

For Advert Placement and Enquiries, Call:

Mobile Phone:+234 803 304 2915

 

Online Editor: Michael Abimboye

Mobile Phone: 0813 699 6757

Email: mmakesense@gmail.com

 

Copyright © 2018 NewTelegraph Newspaper.