Connect with us

Metro and Crime

Ex-soldier stabs nephew to death over inheritance



Mrs. Uche Oyebajo was a picture of grief as she recounted how a retired soldier killed her 50-year-old husband, Adeniyi Oyebajo, leaving her a widow and her children fatherless.
Even as she told the haunting story of death and loss, tears filled her eyes. She tried to control the tears, but lost the battle midway through her story.
According to her, her husband was killed by none other than his 70-year-old Uncle, Gbolahan Ajasa, a retired soldier.

The grieving widow said Ajasa stabbed Adeniyi to death after he tried to stop the former from fighting his sister, Madam Olatubosun, who incidentally is Adeniyi’s mom.
Ajasa was alleged to have jumped on Adeniyi from behind, wielding a knife, moments after the deceased attempted to make peace between sister and brother.

Weeping silently, Uche said: “I was in the sitting room with my children when I heard my husband’s voice that night. I came out to check; I noticed he had gone back to where the quarrel was going on. I followed him to the next compound, which was close to ours.

The compound is where his uncle, Gbolahan lives. I noticed that the two of them was arguing over an issue. When I noticed what was going between them, I held my husband’s shirt and begged him not to go to the old man’s house.

“He listened and followed me. As we were leaving, Uncle Gbolahan sneaked from behind and stabbed my husband in the stomach. There was no power supply that night. I thought my husband was urinating on his body. It was when he moved a bit that I saw blood gushing out of his stomach. His intestines were out and dangling. I was turned into a widow and my children orphans. I’m a full time housewife. I don’t want my husband to die in vain.”
Ajasa was alleged to have killed his nephew with a poisonous knife at Lowa area of Ikorodu, Lagos State.

Ajasa was allegedly fighting his sister over a property, when Adeniyi came to make peace. The property, which was under dispute, was inherited from their late father.
Adeniyi was with some his friends at a nearby beer parlour in the community on the fateful day, when his mother called him on the phone that his uncle had started fighting her again.
The incident, which occurred on Sunday about 9p.m., was said to have thrown the community into mourning.

Adeniyi’s younger brother, Mr. Adeleke Oyebajo, explained that his late brother was with friends when their mother called him on the phone to come and rescue her from her brother.
He said: “My mother is the first child of their parents. She advised her other siblings to give their late father’s house, located at Ladega area of Ikorodu, to a developer to develop it. They all agreed to go with whatever she said since she is the eldest.

“Unfortunately, when she approached Uncle Gbolahan, a retired soldier, to inform him of what she discussed with their siblings, he picked up a quarrel with her. He held my mother’s clothes and threatened to beat her. Just to avoid trouble, she called my elder brother to come and pacify Uncle Gbolahan and to also reason with him.

“Immediately my brother received the phone call from our mother, he left what he was doing. He went straight home. When he got home, he met sister and brother exchanging words. He persuaded the retired soldier to go into his apartment.

“My brother was coming out from Uncle Gbolahan’s apartment, when Uncle Gbolahan suddenly came from behind and stabbed him in the stomach. It was the screams of my brother that alerted people that something was wrong. He was rushed to the hospital, but died on the way.”
It was learnt that another man, Gbenga, who attempted to confront Ajasa, was also inflicted with knife cuts by Ajasa.

When Ajasa realised what he had done, he quickly dashed to Igbogbo Police Station, to report that armed robbers attacked him. He also told the police that he killed one of the armed robbers and inflicted injuries on two.
Ajasa was still at the police station, writing his statement when Adeniyi’s distraught mother, Olatubosun, got to the station. When she sighted her brother, she cried out and begged police not to allow him to escape, that he had just murdered her son. Ajasa was immediately arrested and detained.

Some youths in the community, who were irked by Adeniyi’s death, embarked on a protest and vandalised the home of Ajasa.
Adeniyi’s daughter, Happiness, described her late father as a “friend and a father.”

She said: “I was in school when I got a phone call from my cousin that my father had been stabbed. I became restless. It’s not going to be easy with my father dead; but I know that with God everything will be fine.”
A resident, who does not want his mentioned, said: “The death of Adeniyi was a big loss to the community. He was an easy going man. We were together on the fateful day before he was killed. I’m urging the police to investigate the matter and not sweep it under the carpet.”

Ajasa was on February 19 arraigned before an Ebute Meta Magistrates’ Court in Lagos for the murder of his nephew. The Magistrate, Mrs. O. O. A. Fowowe-Erusiafe, ruled that Ajasa would have to remain in prison custody pending receipt of legal advice from the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP). The plea of the accused was not taken.

Earlier, the prosecutor, Sergeant Courage Ekhueorohan, said the offence violated Section 222 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015. The case has been adjourned till March 19.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Metro and Crime

My body no be wood or stone, sex-starved wife tells court, urges dissolution of union



Barely after five years of nuptial bliss, a 35 -year-old businesswoman, Mrs Bilikisu Azeez, on Monday approached an Igando Customary Court in a Lagos suburb to dissolve her sexless marriage.

“Please dissolve this union so that I can move on with my life, my body is not wood or stone,” the sex-starved wife opened up in court.

She told the court that her husband, Olusesi Azeez, starved her of sex for more than two years, a development which, she said, had affected her health.

“My husband has been starving me of sex since he married his youngest wife, he has turned me to an abandoned property.

“I have been falling sick in and out of hospital, during my last visit to the hospital, I was told that it was because I have had sex for long that is why I experience frequent sickness.”

She also accused her husband of not caring for her and the only child of the marriage, saying “my husband does not take care of me, I feed and clothe myself.

“He refused to enroll our only child, who is over four years old in school and has failed to pay his medical bills; I always run to my mother for the hospital bill.”

Bilikisu, who also accused her husband of battery, said he had beaten her publicly which resulted in her fainting.

According to her, the trouble started when her husband brought in the third wife.

She continued: “There was joy, love and peace in the house until he came with another wife, who has been fighting me also.”

Olusesi, in his response to the allegations, accepted that he starved the woman of sex.

“She once denied me of sex and since then I abandoned her.

“Yes, I starved her of sex, it is tit for tat because there was a day I entered her room to sleep with her and she left the bed to sleep on the floor.

“I made an attempt eight times to sleep with her, but she refused. So since that day, I just put her aside after all she is not the only wife I have,” he told the court.

The 45-year-old building contractor, however, agreed to the dissolution of the marriage, asking the court to grant his wife’s request.

“I am no longer interested in the marriage.”

The court’s President, Mr Akin Akinniyi, after listening to the estranged couple, advised them to explore a possible reconciliation of the crisis.

He adjourned the case until April 12 for judgment.(NAN)

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Woman drags ex-husband to Court over alleged assault



A 30-year-old woman, Janet Audu has dragged her ex-husband, Ishaku Maigari, to the Magajin Gari Sharia Court in Kaduna over alleged assault and harassment.

Janet told the court that her former husband has been harassing her in public, calling her a prostitute and beating her.

She that since their separation five years ago, during which she was granted custody of their three children, Maigari has also failed to cater for the children.

“We have been separated for five years now but has refused to move on. He constantly visit my house and shop to harass and beat me”, the complainant said.

She therefore urged the court to intervene, so as to stop Maigari from assaulting and harassing her, and compel him to be a responsible father to his children.

However, when his plea was taken, the ex-husband denied all the allegations made against him, saying they were untrue.

The Judge, Malam Musa Sa’ad, asked Janet if she has any witness, which she answered in the affirmative but complained that those willing to testify were afraid of Maigari.

The case has been adjourned to March 26, for the complainant to present her witnesses.(NAN)

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Dumpsite: Residents risk lung infections as Smoke envelopes Lagos



  …pupils, workers at risk of lung infections



No fewer than ten communities around Ojota, Ketu, Olusosun and some parts of Alausa- Oregun are currently being enveloped by the poisonous fumes from the Olusosun dumpsite where fire erupted on Wednesday. The visibility was zero as commuters and motorists managed to drive through the thick, dark and poisonous substance which has taken over the city metropolis. While some motorists drove slowly through the thick smoke, other sped off to escape the dark potion of the road.

Pedestrians at various bus stops especially the Seven-Up axis of the Lagos- Ibadan Expressway and the Ojota Bus Stop on the Ikorodu Road rushed to take the next available buses upon alighting from other vehicles. Some were using nose guards to cover their noses others used handkerchiefs to prevent inhaling the smoke. For the scavengers near the dumpsite and on the road linking Motorway Building to Ojota Bus Stop, it was business as usual as very few of them covered their noses, saying they were used to it. Some officials of the Lagos State Traffic Management Agency (LASTMA), enforcing the traffic law on the erring motorists around the Seven-Up Lay-by, covered their noses.

Speaking with our correspondent, one of the workers at the dumpsite, who identified himself simply as King of Boys, said they were praying for downpour to completely put out the fire, adding that the men of the state fire service couldn’t contain the fire. According to the young man, who was posing with his cigarette while speaking with our correspondent in the smoky environment, workers around the dumpsite are used to stench and smoke but they are only relieved of the smoke at the instance of downpour. Also, a LASTMA official, who pleaded anonymity, described the smoke as an annual occurrence, saying it happened last year during rainy season.

He said: “The smoke is not new. It’s an annual thing. Too much of refuse often leads to explosion and days of fume like this. I learnt that medical team was here in the morning to share nose guards.” Asked how he was coping with the smoke, the officer retorted: “I only spend about eight hours here daily. As you can see, I just resumed about 2p.m. and I will live by 8p.m.

But if we experience health hazards as a result of our exposure to the smoke, we will report at our Oshodi headquarters for medical attention.” Also, a resident of Ikosi Road, who refused to give her name, said she couldn’t leave her present home for another area because of the difficulty in getting accommodation in Lagos.

She said they could hardly open their windows or doors for fresh air since their environment was always enveloped in stench and smoke. Meanwhile, there are concerns that thousands of pupils in public and private schools located near the site as well as residents working around the axis are at risk of lung diseases.

A resident, Mrs. Grace Shokumbi, said pupils of Ikosi-High School and other private schools were prone to lung infections while those who were asthmatic could have their condition worsened by the current development. She said: “As pupils resume in school tomorrow (today) we are more than worry with the current development. What we inhale currently is polluted oxygen. We are tired of inhaling carbon monoxide.

I am sure the concerned authorities know the implications on our health.” Analysing the health risk of exposure to smoke in the area, a medical consultant, Dr. Kinsley Edosa, said that individuals with cardiovascular or respiratory conditions (e.g., asthma), foetuses, infants, young children, and the elderly might be more vulnerable to the health effects of smoke exposure. According to him, smoke released by any type of fire (forest, bush, crop, structure, tyres, waste or wood burning) is a mixture of particles and chemicals produced by incomplete burning of carbon- containing materials.

He said: “All smoke contains carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and particulate matter. Smoke can contain many different chemicals, including aldehydes, acid gases, sulphur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), benzene, toluene, styrene, metals and dioxins.

The type and amount of particles and chemicals in smoke varies depending on what is burning, how much oxygen is available, and the burn temperature.” According to the consultant, studies have shown that some people exposed to heavy smoke have temporary changes in lung function, which makes breathing more difficult. He added that two of the major agents in smoke which could cause health effects were carbon monoxide gas and very small particles. According to experts at, if the smoke or air pollution continues, people may experience irritation of the eyes and throat; wheezing, coughing, chest tightness, and breathing difficulties; worsening of existing lung and heart problems such as asthma; increased risk of heart attack.

“Long exposure to air pollution can cause cancer and damage to the immune, neurological, reproductive and respiratory systems. In extreme cases, it can even cause death,” they said. When contacted on the phone, General Manager, Lagos State Waste Management Authority (LAWMA), Mr. Segun Adediji, said that fire service operators and officials from Lagos State Emergence Management Agency (LASEMA) had been permanently stationed to put out the fire. According to him, one of the reasons the two agencies were stationed at Olusosun dumpsite was to continue to pour water to put out the fire, assuring that the problem would be over soon.

Explaining the cause of the fire, the Commissioner for the Environment, Mr. Babatunde Durosinmi-Etti, said it was the natural outcome of the trapped gasses from the waste, escaping to cause combustion, a situation which occurs occasionally in dumpsites. According to him, waste in dumpsites naturally emit certain gasses that are occasionally released to cause combustion such as the one witnessed in Olososun dumpsite.

Continue Reading


Take advantage of our impressive online traffic; advertise your brands and products on this site. Call


For Advert Placement and Enquiries, Call:

Mobile Phone:+234 803 304 2915


Online Editor: Michael Abimboye

Mobile Phone: 0813 699 6757



Copyright © 2018 NewTelegraph Newspaper.

%d bloggers like this: