Benin-Ore: Police rescue three abducted travellers
Armed men believed to be Fulani herdsmen otherwise called Bororo yesterday attacked a team of Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) at Saki, Oke Ogun area of Oyo State and killed its Commander, identified simply as Supol Sheu. This came as police yesterday said they had rescued three travellers abducted on Tuesday by gunmen suspected to be herdsmen on Ore-Benin Expressway in Odigbo Local Government Area of Ondo State. Saki residents, who spoke with our correspondent on the telephone, said the armed herdsmen used to rob and rape women in the night.
To check their excesses, the SARS men were deployed to patrol the area. About four kilometres to Saki from Ogbooro, within the Saki-Ogbooro axis of Orelope Local Government area, the armed men opened fire on the SARS men.
A source said “the Bororo herdsmen have always been notorious for that. They use their AK 47 to guard their cattle during the day and use it to commit nefarious activities at night.
“The Superintendent of Police was a very nice, gentle and well-behaved officer. He hailed from Kebbi State as I learnt. He used to relate with civilians in very civil manner. His death is very sad. With this, I believe the security operatives will take the issue of herdsmen’s attacks and robberies more seriously.”
Security sources said more SARS men were deployed later in the evening to apprehend the killer herdsmen. The state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), SP Adekunle Ajisebutu, confirmed the killing.
He said: “It is true that an officer of ours was murdered. We have arrested four suspects and we are already investigating them.”
Meanwhile, the kidnapped victims – Nwosu Virginia, Opara Olushi and Oke chucku Johnson – said they were going to Lagos State from Imo State when they ran into the roadblock mounted by the gunmen, who abducted them and took them into the bush.
The Ondo State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Mr. Femi Joseph, said the victims were abandoned in the bush when the police were on their trail.
The victims, he said, had been taken to the Police Clinic at Alagbaka in Akure, the state capital, to be treated of various degrees of injury they suffered during the encounter with the hoodlums. Joseph said one of the victims told the police that the hoodlums mounted roadblock looking for people to be kidnapped. He said the hoodlums were not Nigerians the way they related with them during their shot stay in captivity.
This came as the police paraded two suspects, Sunday Fatoki and Adamu Mohammed, who were said to be receivers of stolen vehicles. Joseph said the suspects were arrested in connection with a Toyota Camry stolen in the state but sold by the robbers. He explained that the two suspects were arrested after some of their accomplices were arrested in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital. Joseph explained that Fatoki, a native of Ogbomosho in Oyo State, was nabbed after the police followed a clue gathered through intelligence report.
He said that the arrest of Fatoki, who claimed to be a trader in Ibadan, led to the arrest of Mohammed in Kaduna. Fatoki, who lives in Imalefalafia area of Ibadan, explained that he bought the vehicle from a man who was introduced to him by one of his friends.
He said: “I bought the Toyota Camry through a friend at the sum of N850,000 and subsequently sold it out at N1.3 million to an Hausa man in Kaduna who was arrested with me. “I never knew it was a stolen vehicle, I knew nothing about the robbery operation but I bought the car from them not knowing it was a stolen vehicle.” Joseph, however, said the two suspects were now helping the police in their investigation in connection with other crimes. Similarly, the police have arrested seven suspected kidnappers at Owo in Owo Local Government Area.
The suspects, Joseph said, were from Zuru town in Kebbi State. The PPRO said the suspected kidnappers claimed to be on hunting expedition in the locality. He said: “Our men on patrol got information that some men suspected to be kidnappers were sighted at a location in Owo inside a vehicle with so many locally- made guns. We swung into action and consequently the suspects were arrested and taken to the station with the exhibits recovered from them.”
Remarkable achievement! Nigerian-American girl born without hands wins handwriting competition
An inspirational story of a 9-year-old Nigerian-American girl, Anaya Ellick, is trending after she emerged winner of two national awards for exceptional handwriting skills in America. The feat, as outstanding as it is, is made even more remarkable considering that she was born without hands.
A third-grader in the Chesapeake area of Virginia in the United States, Ellick beat hundreds of others who competed with her to the award in competition in spite of her physical challenges.
She was named winner of the 2018 Nicholas Maxim Award, which is part of the 2018 Zaner-Bloser National Handwriting Contest on April 26. Ellick’s tale of extraordinary proportions shows she previously won the Nicholas Maxim Award for Excellence in Manuscript Penmanship when she was a first grader two years ago.
Her story, one of the most profound depictions of the popular maxim – there is ability is disability, indicates that people should never limit the extent of their dreams and aspirations no matter the circumstance. With her feat, the amazing young girl has brought glory not just to her family but as well to Nigeria through academic brilliance.
The accomplishment by the girl, who found a way to be the best at writing despite the fact that she was born without hands, has left many observers wondering how she was able to pull it off. According to the organisers, the award recognises students with special-needs who have developed an exceptional skill in handwriting and even they are astonished that the 9-year-old who was also named winner of the contest’s print category, could do it again on a larger scale.
Being so close to home, Saturday Telegraph gathered that the little girl who doesn’t use prosthetic hands, took an unconventional approach to it all. She took time to learn how to hold a pencil between her arms both for the purposes of drawing and writing.
On account of the feat, her school has taken the lead in celebrating the Nigerian-American on social media. “Greenbrier Christian Academy is proud to announce third grader Anaya Ellick has won the Nicholas Maxim Special Award for Excellence in Cursive!,” a post by the school began.Anaya previously won the Nicholas Maxim Award for Excellence in Manuscript Penmanship as a first grader in 2016 and has claimed the title again with her outstanding cursive writing. “What makes Anaya’s achievement as a National Handwriting Champion so special is Anaya was born without hands and does not use prosthetic.
In order to write, she is able to hold a pencil between her two arms and stand at her desk to get the proper angle needed for writing. “Anaya is an extraordinary young lady. Her tenacity continues to inspire all of us at GCA. She has well-earned first place finish reminds us all what determination and hard work can achieve.
We are so proud of Anaya and her accomplishments. “During our Foundations Academy Chapel, Anaya’s teacher, Mrs. Becky Cannaday, shared a message on our character trait of the month, boldness, and on the importance of letting your light shine for God’s glory.
“Cannaday encouraged students to be bold and reminded our Gators that boldness does not always mean being front and center, but can also be shown by humbly standing alone in doing the right thing, even when everyone else is not. Mrs. Cannaday went on challenge students to respectfully love others and to not be fooled by the world into acting in ways that do not glorify God. “As at the time of going to the press, after Cannaday’s message, representatives from Zaner-Bloser presented Anaya with a monetary award and trophy.
The National Handwriting Contest is an annual event sponsored by Zaner-Bloser to promote legible handwriting,” the message concludes. In a statement, GCA Principal, Tracy Cox, also spoke about the remarkable 9-year-old. “Anaya is a remarkable young lady.
She does not let anything get in the way of doing what she has set out to do,” said. “She is a hard worker and has some of the best handwriting in her class. Her determination is an inspiration to all of us at GCA,” she said.
LCDA creation: Oke Ogun community hails Ajimobi on grassroots devt
Residents of Wewe, one of the 35 Local Council Development Areas (LCDAs) created from the 33 Local Government Areas of Oyo State on January 16, 2018, have given kudos to the administration of Governor Abiola Ajimobi for affording them at the grassroots level the opportunity of directly participating in the governance of the 42-year-old Pace setter state.
The commendation is sequel to the election and swearing in of the Council Chairman, Mr Olaniyi Olusegun Olawuwo, who was the first Caretaker Chairman of the area, created from the Saki West Local Government, and had within a very short period of time touched many of the sectors of the area.
Wewe community is known for its heavy reliance on agriculture, as well as some economic activities like iron pots, shear butter, bakery, table water factories and modern day businesses including tourist centre. Bordered in the East by Saki East Local Government; in the North by ATISBO Local Government; in the West by Saki West Local Government, and in the South by Asabari LCDA, Wewe LCDA covers about 60 kilometres terrain around a waterlogged area with many rivers adjoining Wewe River, which the LCDA was named after. According to Olawuwo, while speaking with Saturday Telegraph, his administration had been able to embark on and completed over 31 various projects including agricultural and natural resources, environment health, education and social services, primary health care, road construction among others.
Olawuwo while recounting his experience as the pioneer caretaker chairman and his mission to transform the LCDA said the creation of the council had in no small measure justified the reason Governor Abiola Ajimobi established the LCDA.
The level of development since the creation of LCDA has really gone deeper into the grassroots in the old local government areas. By the time we are privileged to execute our mission for this LCDA, without mincing words, it would be clear to everyone, even the critics of Governor Ajimobi, that the creation of LCDAs is primarily for the good of our people at the grassroots as promised by our Governor. “When I came on board, it was evident to me that we have a lot to do to key into the vision of our governor in ensuring development across the length and breadth of Oyo State.
You will recall vividly that his administration is championing rural and urban development. The urban cities have been enjoying massive development, so creation of LCDAs will match deep rural development.
“At Wewe LCDA, we came on board with a lot of hopes on our shoulder, hence our resolve to set the area on the road of development. In conjunction with the staff, we have been able to prove that the LCDA will in truth serve as a spring board for eventual development and as a platform to get our people’s view and come up with their actual needs”, Olawuwo said.
Court declares teacher’s sacking ‘unlawful’
The National Industrial Court, on Friday declared as `unlawful’ the dismissal of one Akpomovine Ojo-Gabriel for embarking on maternity leave by the Hillside School, Abuja. Justice Rakiya Haastrup in delivering the judgement ordered payment of her salary and cost of suit.
The judge said the defendant’s failure to recognise the claimant’s maternity leave and refusal to allow the claimant resume after her leave was unjustifiable.
Haastrup said the stopping of her salaries is in breach of the terms of contract of the parties as contained in the staff handbook. The judge said the defendant breached the agreement in the section of the handbook that dealt with maternity leave which the claimant was entitled to as a staff.
“The handbook stipulates one month notice or salary in lieu of notice is required where the employment relationship is to be terminated by either party,’’ she said. Haastrup said the act of the defendant in mandating the claimant to re-apply for her position was null and void.
She ordered the payment of the claimant one month basic salary and any other entitlements that may be due and accrued. The claimant was also awarded the sum of N50, 000 as cost of prosecuting the suit.
The court, however, said the claimant was not entitled to the claim for an order of reinstatement. The claimant’s counsel, Kingsley Osuji, said his client before her dismissal was a teacher at Hillside School, Abuja, until she left for a two months maternity leave which was duly sought for and approved.
News20 hours ago
2nd Niger Bridge: Julius Berger will demobilize from site in June –Reps
News19 hours ago
Nigeria more transparent under Buhari –Lai Mohammed
News19 hours ago
Jonathan warns Buhari against rigging Ekiti poll
Politics20 hours ago
Anyanwu: Nigeria’s democracy is in great danger
Columnists20 hours ago
Reps disappointing outing on Peace Corps
News20 hours ago
Don’t vote APC, PDP in 2019, Ezekwesili tells Nigerians
Politics20 hours ago
My plans for Oyo State, by Obisesan
News20 hours ago
Woman appeals to IG over missing husband