Connect with us

News

I’m conscious of our security situation – Buhari

Published

on

…charges security agencies to share intelligence

 

President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday said that although his administration remained conscious of the security challenges in the country, he would only adopt solutions that would stand the test of time.

The assurance came on the heels of the weekly routine security meeting where the President received briefs from the military service chiefs and heads of other security agencies in the country. The meeting resolved that all law enforcement agencies must take intelligence-gathering and sharing much more seriously than ever before.

 

The police and DSS especially had been charged to step up their efforts and capacity in this regard to ensure that law enforcement agencies were ahead of the bandits terrorising citizens across the country.

The meeting was attended by the Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, Minister of Defence, Mansur Dan- Ali, Minister of Interior, Brig. Gen. Abdulrahman Danbazzau (rtd), Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, and National Security Adviser, Maj. Gen. Babagana Monguno (rtd). Also in attendance were Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Gabriel Olonisakin; Chief of Army Staff; Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai; Chief of Naval Staff, Ibok- Ete Ekwe Ibas, and Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar.

The Director-General of the Department of State Services (DSS), Lawal Daura, Director of the Nigeria Intelligence Agency (NIA), Ahmed Abubakar, and Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris as well as the heads of Nigeria Immigration Service, Nigeria Customs Service, Nigeria Fire Service, Federal Road Safety Corps, Nigeria Prisons Service, and Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps were also at the meeting.

There was no briefing of State House correspondents at the end of the three hour meeting but our correspondent  learnt that the President Buhari received comprehensive reports on all facets of the nation’s security architecture.

However, President Buhari later went on his twitter handle to share a snippet of what transpired behind closed doors.

The post on his twitter handle reads: “Today, I presided over a meeting of the Security Council. We fully understand the seriousness and urgency of Nigeria’s security issues and are determined to implement carefully considered solutions that will not only earn the confidence of Nigerians, but also stand the test of time. “One of the resolutions from our Security Meeting today is that all our law enforcement agencies must take intelligencegathering and sharing much more seriously.

The police and DSS especially have been charged to step up their efforts and capacity in this regard.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Kehinde Kolawole

    February 13, 2018 at 6:33 am

    Conscious indeed!

Leave a Reply

Inside Abuja

Saving them from self destruction

Published

on

Angwan Tivi in Ruga community, a sex den for a good number of men in Abuja, is slowly turning into a HIV-infested den. REGINA OTOKPA reports on a unique case and efforts of a concerned NGO to change the tale of the community

 

Seventeen-year-old Christiana David (not real name), is five months pregnant and currently infected with the Human Immune Virus (HIV). She is one of the young women engaged in illicit sex trade activities at Angwan Tivi, a settlement within Ruga community in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja.

 

Growing up like every other child, Christiana never envisaged her life would take this turn until two years ago when her mother, Sarah (not real name), whose husband is late, introduced Christiana and her two sisters into the business of prostitution at the brothel where she has been selling food since 2015.

 

Showing no remorse her children were involved in such trade, she told Inside Abuja her husband was late and she and her daughters must hustle to survive.

 

Inside Abuja checks revealed that one of the sisters presently has a child, unsure of whom the father is, while the second recently had an abortion from an unwanted pregnancy.

 

 

Meanwhile, Christiana, who still engages in the act with her five-month pregnancy, has not been able to assess antenatal care. It was also observed that men flock in from all parts of Abuja, including Utako, Asokoro, Gwarinpa and the likes, to patronise these ladies. Running free HIV counselling and test for the women engaged in the illicit trade, the Wanda Adu foundation recorded 25 positive cases.

 

 

Most of the women and young girls hail from Benue State, but have found their way into the city with the aim of making a living for themselves.

 

Worried by the developing trend and committed towards changing the tale about Angwan Tivi, founder of the foundation, Wanda Ebe, has commenced a two weeks training and empowerment exercise for 62 girls and women, to equip them with necessary information and materials on chemical classes for liquid soap, Dettol and cream production.

 

Also, the training would cover bead making, teach the ladies how to tie head scarf(gele), as well as pedicure and manicure .

 

Ebe, who recently trained 20 women in Mpape, told Inside Abuja that the idea behind making the ladies learn and acquire vocational skills was to assist them become self sustained and to teach them to always believe in themselves by engaging in different types of business rather than relying on the men for their means of survival.

 

 

“It is more honourable to have a means of livelihood and grow a business than to rely on the government or individuals to meet their needs on a daily basis.

 

 

 

We are seeking for ways of empower- ing them and making them better individuals. This will give them an opportunity to choose from all the skills they learnt at the end of the training and be able to stand out on one particular skill.”

 

Committed to ensuring those free from HIV protect themselves from contracting sexually transmitted diseases and other forms of disease affecting females, Ebe took time, advising the ladies on preventive methods.

 

 

Taking a step further, sanitary pads, condoms, antiseptic and liquid soaps were distributed to the ladies. “It is very essential to use condom when engaging in sexual activity with your partner.

 

Do not hesitate or wait till tomorrow as you cannot detect disease with mere eyes. We have provided means of doing voluntary counseling and testing through AIDS healthcare foundation (AHF), which will give you follow up treatment after the diagnosis,” Ebe said.

 

 

She urged Nigerians not to judge women who indulge in sex trade from afar, saying that,”we should learn to show love to them and not chastise them, because we don’t know where they are coming from and what they have been through.

 

 

Most of these ladies happen to start this kind of life due to being single mothers ” Capitalising on the Valentine

Continue Reading

National news

N10bn NHIS scam: APC government stinks corruption – PDP

Published

on

 

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) said the alleged N10 billion theft by officials of the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) is the height of official hypocrisy‎ by President Muhammadu Buhari administration.

 

The party also disputed the claim of Minister of Information, Alhaji Lai Mohammed that Nigerian was in safe hands when the reality on the ground showed that the nation is on autopilot and drifting to the precipice.

 

In a statement, yesterday by its National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan‎, PDP said the Buhari presidency’s incompetence is manifesting on daily basis.

 

The party said it was shocking that the NHIS money was syphoned through the Federal Government Treasury Single Account (TSA) in the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), which is under the direct purview of the presidency.

 

“Nigerians can now see the level of debauchery associated with this administration. It is appalling that a government can be so depraved that it superintended over the stealing of money meant to provide healthcare for the citizens,” the party said.

 

PDP noted that the only reason for the concealment was because the ‎presidency was complicit, while the stolen fund was being used to service an anti-people cabal brazenly operating in the Buhari-led presidency.

 

“We challenge the presidency to speak out on this report as well as similarly reported sleazes that has occurred under its watch.

 

“Who in the presidency authorized the withdrawal of the money from the TSA and who are the beneficiaries thereof?

 

“What has the presidency to say about revelations that it ordered the reinstatement of the indicted Executive Secretary of the NHIS, Prof. Yusuf Usman, to help conceal these illegal withdrawals and shield members of the presidency cabals involved in the deal?

 

“Until and unless the presidency clears its name by investigating, exposing and prosecuting those involved, it must directly be held responsible for this wicked act against Nigerians, who daily suffer

hunger, deprivation and death owing to the corruption in the APC government,” the statement added.

The PDP expressed shock that Alhaji Mohammed, could tell Nigerians abroad that the country was in safe hands under Buhari when under the administration, Nigerians were inflicted with economic and security problems.

 

It said either the minister had lost touch with reality or he was just trying to play with words to please the incompetent Buhari presidency or its crisis-ridden party, the APC.

 

“If a minister of information who ought to give the correct state of affairs can announce that a government which collapsed the nation’s once robust economy and plagued it with violence, ethnic division and political tension, is indeed a safe hand, then our nation is in much more trouble under the All Progressives Congress (APC).

 

“How can anybody say that the same presidency whose incompetence and bad policies are directly responsible for the unabated killings, massive unemployment and job losses, a collapse of businesses and even the lingering fuel crisis which has brought untold hardship in the land is indeed a safe hand?

 

“This is a government under whose watch the nation has become heavily polarized along dangerous fault lines and where citizens now live in fear and mutual suspicion; where citizens are slaughtered by the day by marauders; where hunger and strange diseases ravage the people due to its bad policies.

 

“The reasonable takeaway from the statement of the information minister is that this government has come to its wits end and has no solution for the troubles it caused the nation,” PDP said.

 

It added that the minister’s statement has further exposed the fact that this failed administration is not the least remorseful for the pain it has caused the people, which underpins its arrogance and disdain towards Nigerians.

 

Continue Reading

News Around Nigeria

Naked couple found dead in car

Published

on

A naked couple found dead in a car are believed to have suffocated after turning on the engine to keep warm while allegedly having sex.

The 39-year-old man and 44-year-old woman’s bodies were discovered by police in a locked garage in the city of Bottrop in western Germany’s North Rhine-Westphalia state.

Investigators said the naked couple, whose names have not been released, appeared to have turned on the car engine to get warm, leading to their suffocation.

Nobody had noticed the car engine had been left running for hours behind the metal gate of the garage which is located behind a commercial building.

Police opened the garage door because the man’s family had reported that he had been missing for days.

Meanwhile, officers in the city had also started an investigation into the woman’s sudden disappearance.

Police said there appeared to be no evidence of a crime but forensic scientists were working hard to establish exactly what happened. Tests are being carried out to ascertain CO levels in the blood of the couple

A police spokesman said, “At the moment all evidence points to an accident.

“To put all doubts to rest, the public prosecutor ordered an autopsy be performed on the bodies.”

(UK Mirror)

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Take advantage of our impressive online traffic; advertise your brands and products on this site. Call

 

For Advert Placement and Enquiries, Call:

Mobile Phone:+234 803 304 2915

 

Online Editor: Michael Abimboye

Mobile Phone: 0813 699 6757

Email: mmakesense@gmail.com

 

Copyright © 2018 NewTelegraph Newspaper.

%d bloggers like this: