50% children engage in child labour –NBS
The World Bank has approved $611 million to support Nigeria in addressing the menace of out-of-school children. There are over 10.5 million out-of-school children in Nigeria, the highest in the world.
World Bank Education Specialist and Consultant, Mr. Adebayo Solomon, disclosed this at the flag off of Federal Government’s 2017/2018 Annual School Census exercise across the 36 states of the federation and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja.
According to him, the money was approved for the Better Education Service Delivery for All (BES- DA) Programme, which was aimed at bringing out-of-school children into the classroom, improve literacy and strengthen accountability for results in basic education.
This move, he explained, was to support the federal and state authorities in their efforts to foster inclusion and revive growth, in alignment with the Economic Recovery and Growth Plan (ERGP) of the Federal Government and also to help in generating credible and reliable data in the education sector.
While noting that many states were unable to conduct annual school census because they did not prioritise it, Solomon said with the project embarked upon by the World Bank in partnership with the Federal Ministry of Education, the needed money has been made available for each of the states to be able to conduct the census.
“The money is available to the level at which data are collected first of all by the states themselves. They have to spend their money and after they have spent their money somebody will now verify.
“We are working with the National Bureau of Statistics to ensure that the data are verified. Immediately they are verified, each school will collect $30. And each state government will collect $100,000.
“The more you continue to publish the data and it is becoming accurate, there is a bonus that is given to you. There should not be challenge in respect of collecting the data. State need to be on top of it and be proactive,” he said.
Minister of Education, Malam Adamu Adamu, who kicked off the enumeration exercise in Abuja, stressed the importance of data in planning for delivery of quality and all-inclusive education in the country.
Adamu, who explained that there would be simultaneous commencement of enumeration of all schools, pupils, teachers and facilities in the basic and post-basic school levels in 36 states and FCT, added that the census would provide reliable data that would lead to proper planning, management and administration of education in Nigeria.
Furthermore, the minister disclosed that the Federal Government has commenced geo-positioning of schools, to help in getting the exact and accurate number of schools and validating the annual census school data collection.
He, however, lamented that some state governments, agencies of government and private schools had failed to comply effectively with the enumeration exercise in the previous years.
The minister appealed to states and schools to diligently adhere to the guidelines so as to get the data right.
“I will also urge for cooperation and full participation of the military, para-military and private schools, both registered and unregistered, almajiri centres and integrated Koranic schools in this exercise so that we can explore and improve all school environments in order to begin to solve the problem of out-of-school children,” he said.
2019: Isiaka resigns from PDP, says party’s crisis intractable
The Ogun State Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governorship candidate in 2015, Prince Gboyega Isiaka, has resigned his membership of the party.
Isiaka, who said the decision was not an easy one for him, noted that the crisis rocking the party in the state had proved intractable ahead of another general election.
A copy of his resignation letter dated May 24 and addressed to the state PDP chairman, was obtained yesterday by Saturday Telegraph.
The Ogun PDP had been factionalised between loyalists of Senator Buruji Kashamu representing Ogun East Senatorial District and a House of Representatives member, Oladipupo Adebutu, from Remo Federal Constituency.
Isiaka, who had contested the governorship on two previous occasions, said he was leaving the PDP to continue his partisan political career “by charting a new course.”
He lamented that genuine steps taken by few patriots within the opposition party to close up the fault lines and return it to glory days have been to no avail.
The letter partly read, “I am using this medium to convey the decision to resign my membership of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), effective from today 24th May, 2018.
“This has not been an easy one for me as I recall with nostalgia, the opportunities and privileges which the membership of this party conferred on my political career; the peak of which was the kind consideration given me to be the flag bearer of the PDP in the last gubernatorial election in Ogun State.
“You will recall that the PDP, especially in our state, has been through a rough patch in the last couple of years, and after two successive electoral losses, the search for lasting peace is still elusive. Despite the genuine steps taken by few patriots within the party to close up the fault lines and return the party to glory days, all have been to no avail.
“With another election on the horizon and the perennial challenges of the party festering and proving to be intractable, I am left with no other choice but to continue my partisan political career by charting a new course where my philosophies and beliefs are aligned with good democratic ethos for the ultimate aim of promoting a better society.”
When contacted yesterday on Isiaka’s next political move, one of his media aides, Wale Junaid, said his principal is committed to contesting and winning the 2019 governorship in the state.
Junaid stated that the issue of whether the two-time gubernatorial candidate would join another political party or not would be addressed at the appropriate time.
He restated Isiaka’s commitment to running a welfarist and people-centred administration when he emerges as governor next yea
Imo APC crisis: Okorocha meets Buhari again
President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday met behind closed doors with Imo State Governor, Rochas Okorocha and former Edo State Governor, Adams Oshiomhole, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Okorocha’s meeting with the president, which lasted for about an hour, came few days after he met the president in his country home, Daura, Katsina State. The governor had complaint about the conduct of the ward congress of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in his state. Okorocha, who was again accompanied by Oshiomhole, declined comment on the outcome of his meeting with the president.
NAN, however, gathered that Okorocha might have again lodged a fresh complaint about the way and manner the ward and local government APC congresses were conducted in Imo. It will be recalled that Okorocha had on May 7 in Daura, told newsmen after a closed-door meeting with Buhari that there was no ward congress in Imo. He said: “We expect internal democracy and internal democracy is the way to go.
Those kinds of funny politics that were played must stop, where people went to carry ballot boxes, steal results, looks so primitive. “I intimated Mr. President and we will make sure that such things must stop.’’
Court grants Jang bail with N100m surety
- I hold no grudge against my oppressors, says ex-gov
A High Court sitting in Jos, the Plateau State capital, yesterday granted bail to the immediate past governor of the state, Senator Jonah Jang and a former cashier in the Office of the Secretary to Plateau State Government, Mr. Yusuf Pam, with two sureties each in the sum of N100 million and N50 million respectively. Jang is facing a 12-count charge bordering on alleged corruption and misappropriation.
The former governor is alleged to have misappropriated over N6 billion, two months to the end of his tenure as governor of Plateau in 2015. According to the charges, the former governor also embezzled over N4 billion from the state coffers through Pam Yusuf, who was a cashier in the office of the Secretary to the State Government.
Yusuf, who is a co-defendant in the suit against Jang, is also facing another case of allegedly enriching himself to the tune of N11 million. Counsel to the accused persons, Robert Clarke (SAN) had, on May 16, in a written application during their arraignment, prayed the court to grant his clients bail based on self-recognition, after both accused persons, Jang and Pam, pleaded not guilty to the crime. This was as the former governor yesterday said he was not holding any grudge against his oppressors.
While responding to the prosecuting counsel, Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), prayed the court not to grant the accused persons bail, stating that section 341 (2) of the 1999 Constitution said an offence which attracts an imprisonment of more than three years, was not bailable. Presiding judge, Justice Daniel Longji, while ruling on the bail application by the lead accused counsel, Clarke, said the first accused and former governor was to provide two sureties with the sum of N100 million only, among which one must be a first class traditional ruler within the jurisdiction of the court.
On the second accused, Mr. Yusuf Pam, a former cashier in the Office of the Secretary to the State Government, Justice Longji also granted him bail to provide two sureties in which one must be a permanent secretary in the civil service or anybody of that rank.
Justice Longji also directed the first and the second accused to submit their international passports to the chief registrar of the court. The judge had, however, adjourned the case to 17th, 18th and 19th of July, 2018 for definite hearing. Meanwhile, Jang yesterday said in a statement that the burden he was carrying in his heart was not of grudges against those against him. He said: “The burden I carry in my heart is not of grudges against those against me, but of gratitude for those who have endured difficult conditions to stand with me through this ordeal.
“I am convinced beyond doubts that your labour of love shall not be in vain. May God bless you for remembering me in my hour of distress.” Jang, who was the former governor of Plateau State from 2007 to 2015, said: “For over a week, I was kept in detention by the EFCC, deprived of the inalienable right to personal freedom and association.
” The senator said his lawyers had instituted a case at the FCT High Court and that he would pursue the matter to its logical conclusion. According to him, “If the laws of our country are still potent under the current circumstances, my detention constitutes a gross abuse of the fundamental rights guaranteed me as a law-abiding citizen as enshrined in the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, as amended.
“Where the constitution provides for an accused person to be charged to court within one day, I was held by the EFCC for over a week in flagrant disregard to the letters and spirit of the supreme document which legitimises the very existence of our country.”
News19 hours ago
Govs, Ministers shun Fayemi governorship campaign committee inauguration
Metro and Crime11 hours ago
School feeding: Vendors steal 200 crates of eggs, yam, rice
National news22 hours ago
Killings: Politicians sponsoring killings for 2019 – Wole Soyinka
News22 hours ago
Herdsmen ambush, kill three people returning from mass burial
National news18 hours ago
Police storm Kuku’s house in search of kidnappers
News Around Nigeria18 hours ago
Africans richest woman, Alakija narrates how 3 siblings defrauded her
News Around Nigeria21 hours ago
I hold no grudges to those against me, Says Senator Jang
Metro and Crime21 hours ago
Sex without consent is rape, says a new law