Connect with us

Metro and Crime

Soldier shoots, injures two in Abia

Published

on

A commercial motorcyclist, Uzoma Ahunanya, and another man are battling to stay alive at an undisclosed hospital in Ukwa West Local Government Area of Abia State after they were shot by an angry soldier.
The incident occurred on Tuesday and caused pandemonium in the area near Chrismary Hotel on Aba-Port Harcourt Expressway.
A source said trouble started when some sympathisers came to the rescue of a Yoruba traditional medicine seller who was reportedly being manhandled by the soldier accompanying expatriates lodging in the hotel.
It was learnt that the soldier, after being overpowered by the sympathisers, went into the hotel premises, brought out his gun and started shooting indiscriminately and injured Ahunaya and another man.
Another witness said: “I don’t know what the problem was, but we saw the soldier beating the woman and we went to intervene. The soldier was not having his gun at the moment, but he later went in and brought out his gun which he started shooting and aiming at people.”
Confirming the incident, the Chairman of Okada riders’ association at Uratta, Mr. Ogechukwu Ogbonna, said Ahunanya, who is a member of his union, was receiving medical attention in a private clinic at Obe-Ukwa.
Ogbonna explained that the bullet pierced through one of the Ahunanya’s thighs, while the other victim, identified as a husband to a female shop owner, was also affected by the soldier’s bullets.
Sources at the 144 Battalion told our correspondent that the soldier was not from the battalion. According to them, he was on transit, escorting some expatriates.
A source said Military Police from 14 Brigade, Ohafia and 144 Battalion had begun investigation into the matter, adding that they had visited the hospitals where the victims were receiving medical attention.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Metro and Crime

Cholera outbreak: 12 die, 134 hospitalised in Adamawa

Published

on

About 12 people were reported dead while over 134 others have been infected by cholera outbreak in Mubi North and Mubi South local government areas of Adamawa State.

The state Director, Public Health in the Ministry of Health, Dr. Bwalki Barem Dilli, who disclosed this in Yola on Tuesday, described the development as alarming considering the number of casualties recorded in the outbreak.

 

According to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Dr. Bwalki Dilli, who also served as the Incidence Manager for Emergency Operation Centre in the ministry, explained that medical personnel from the ministry in partnership with World Health Organisation (WHO) have since been drafted to the area to check any spread of the disease.

 

Speaking with journalists, Dilli maintained that the report of the sus-  pected outbreak became apparent last week when the Mubi General Hospital recorded high profile cases of vomiting and stooling (diarrhoea) from affected patients who went for medical attention. He explained that the ministry in conjunction with its partners had collected 11 stool samples from the victims and taken for proper investigation at the Maiduguri Teaching Hospital in Borno State.

 

According to him, an emergency operation centre has been opened to collect data on people suspected to be affected with the epidemic, stressing that toll free lines of 08031230359 and 070 80601139 have been established for reports as well as contact for complaints.

 

He advised people to always washing their hands after answering the call of nature and stop defection in an open space as preventive measures. However, efforts to speak with the Commissioner for Health, Dr. Fatima Atiku Abubakar, were abortive as she refused to pick calls

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Rivers SSG, politician arraigned for N750m alleged fraud

Published

on

Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), has arraigned the Secretary to the Rivers State Government, Mr. Kenneth Kobani, and a politician, Mr. Samuel Okpoko, on a six-count charge bordering on money laundering to the tune of N750,000,000.

 

They were before Justice B. Bilikisu of the Federal High Court, sitting in Port Harcourt, Rivers State. Specifically, the defendants were docked for allegedly collecting N750,000,000 from the Garrison branch of a new generation bank in Port Harcourt, Rivers State on the eve of the 2015 general elections.

 

Head, Media and Publicity of the EFCC, Wilson Uwujaren, said in a statement yesterday that the money was part of the infamous $115 million Diezani Alison-Madueke cash deployed to bribe several politicians and officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to influence the outcome of the 2015 presidential election.

 

Kobani, Uwujaren said, allegedly collected N50 million out of the heist while Okposo allegedly collected the remaining N700 million. When the charges were read to them, the accused pleaded “not guilty.”

 

The prosecution counsel, C. A. Okoli, told the court that he was ready for trial and prayed that the defendants be remanded in prison custody.

However, the lead defence counsel, C. A. Okala, SAN, sued for the bail of the defendants. Justice Bilikisu admitted the defendants to bail in the sum of N50 million and a surety each in like sum.

 

She adjourned the matter till June 4 for trial.

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Kidnappers abduct commissioner’s wife, children

Published

on

Suspected kidnappers have abducted the wife of the Zamfara State Commissioner for Youths and Sports, Alhaji Abdullahi Gurbin Bore, and his six children.

The commissioner’s wife, Hajiya Hadiza, and her children were abducted last Tuesday night in their residence in Gurbin Bore town of Zurmi Local Government Area.

It was learnt that since the abduction of the woman and children, mum has been the word from the kidnappers.

Sources said that the abductors went straight to the commissioner’s house and later left with his wife and six children.

A source said: “In fact, we the people of Gurbin Bore were shocked when we realised that the whole family of the commissioner had been abducted.”

When contacted, Gurbin Bore confirmed the incident, but said the gunmen only abducted his wife and three of his children.

He added that the other three victims were wife and children of his associate. Bore said they had not heard from the abductors since last Tuesday night.

He said: “As we keep on waiting to hear from them, we are also praying that the whole family would be safe and returned to us.”

It was learnt that hundreds of people from across the state were trouping to the Gurbin Bore town to sympathise with the commissioner.

The state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Kenneth Ebrinson, confirmed the incident. He said that security agencies in the state and from the neighbouring Katsina State, were making moves to ensure that the victims were rescued.

Continue Reading

Trending

Take advantage of our impressive online traffic; advertise your brands and products on this site. Call

 

For Advert Placement and Enquiries, Call:

Mobile Phone:+234 803 304 2915

 

Online Editor: Michael Abimboye

Mobile Phone: 0813 699 6757

Email: mmakesense@gmail.com

 

Copyright © 2018 NewTelegraph Newspaper.

%d bloggers like this: