Connect with us

Metro and Crime

Syndicate abducts, inflicts injuries on kids, uses them to beg

Published

on

Detectives attached to Fegge Police Station, Anambra State Police Command have smashed a syndicate which allegedly specialised in abducting and inflicting injuries on children, and would later use them to beg for alms. Two suspects, Friday and Ezekiel, were both arrested for being connected to a group known as ‘humanitarian group.’

Some of the group members are currently at the Onitsha prisons, awaiting trial. The group specialises in parading children with different kinds of ailments, using them for alms begging in Onitsha. Some of the abducted children are believed to be sick, suffering from ailments such as cancer.

The Divisional Police Officer (DPO), Mr. Rabiu Garba, in charge of Fegge Police Station, disclosed that the suspects were notorious for using abducted children for alms begging. They move to other locations different from where they kidnapped the children and later inflict injuries on them.

The injuries are expected to attract public empathy. According Garba, six male children with hernia as well as a three-year-old baby girl with cancer of the lips, kidnapped by the suspects had since been rescued and reunited with their families after being treated of their ailments by the division.

Garba explained that the girl was kidnapped at the age of one and half years from Buruku in Benue State, during a wake. He said: “My men and I had been closely monitoring the suspects for a long time. Following our suspicion of their actions with the children, we went after them. We arrested two, while others escaped.”

The DPO advised Nigerians to be cautious of whom they render assistance to. He said: “The suspects, in their confessions, admitted making up to N25,000 daily through the children. In fact, they confessed that they had made N12,800 as early as 8a.m. on the day they were arrested.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Metro and Crime

Naval personnel beat up man over carton of beer

Published

on

A middle-aged man, Inah Arome and six of his friends were over the week, beaten to pulp by some unknown naval personnel for allegedly refusing to buy a carton of beer for them. Narrating his ordeal to our correspondent, Arome aged 36, who identified himself as a young entrepreneur said he was sitting in company with his friends in the front of his house in Okpachala Ogbagba near Idah Local Government Area of Kogi State at 10 am when a naval patrol van led by one Lt Commander Megida suddenly pulled to a halt.

He said a member of the patrol team numbering about six then ordered them to stand up and salute their leader who he said was just transferred to the area.

After saluting the officer, he said the officer pointed to a nearby restaurant and ordered them to buy a carton of Gulder so as to entertain their ‘oga’ but he pleaded with them that they had no money as they came from Lokoja for a wedding ceremony.

This, he said infuriated the officer who said he was rude and landed him a slap while the five others in the vehicle jumped down and started beaten them up continuously. He said in the course of beating them, they nearly stripped them naked publicly as they dragged them on the ground and took them to their office where they locked them for seven hours with intense torturing.

According to Arome, who claimed he fainted three times in the torture room, he sustained arm dislocation and had to be rushed to a private clinic for treatment. “Upon all these torture, they vehemently refused to release us until they collected N4,000 from us which they claim was the amount a carton of Gulder is sold.”

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Vandals destroy NDPHC’s transmission lines in Enugu

Published

on

The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) announced yesterday that the 132KV double circuit transmission lines at Eziama, Enugu State, being constructed by Niger Delta Power Holding Company (NDPHC), were destroyed by vandals on February 20. A statement in Abuja by TCN’s General Manager, Public Affairs, Mrs Ndidi Mba, said assessment by TCN engineers revealed that the vandals carted away two spans of conductors, insulators and other accessories.

She said the equipment were removed from the towers and transmission lines through which the company planned to feed the new 9th Mile 2×60 MVA 132/33kV substation and the Nsukka 1x30MVA sub stations.

She said the vandalised double circuit lines would slow down the pace of work on the transmission line and eventually impede prompt energising of the two ongoing transmission substations in the state.

Mba said vandals had also destroyed four towers at the Alulu Nike transmission line. She said vandalism was threatening TCN’s expansion effort in the state, as efforts, time and funds would have to be provided to replace the vandalised lines

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Police arrest another gang member of Zenith Bank robbery

Published

on

The Imo State Police Command has arrested a member of the four-man robbery gang that attacked a customer at Zenith Bank in Owerri, killing two policemen.

The suspect, Chinomso Onwuegbuchulam, popularly known as Ogolo, was arrested at his hideout at Close 7 Mgbuakara, Eleparanwan in Rivers.

The Commissioner of Police in Imo, Mr Chris Ezike, who paraded the suspect on Friday in Owerri, described Onwuegbuchulam as the last man standing in the robbery gang.

He said that Onwuegbuchulam had a bachelor’s degree in public administration from the Imo State University.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that the four-man robbery gang attacked a customer at Zenith Bank, Owerri in February last year, killing two on-duty police officers.

The police had, however, arrested two out of the four gang members, days after the incident, recovering three AK47 riffles and 175 rounds of ammunition, while one member of the gang was killed during the robbery.

Ezike said that operatives of the command had been trailing the Onwuegbuchulam, who had been on the run since the incident.

Speaking to NAN on the sidelines at his parade, Onwuegbuchulam said that he had been into robbery since 2012.

He said that he was the one, who snatched N2.8 million from the customer at Zenith Bank.

Onwuegbuchulam disclosed further that he got N400, 000 as his share in the robbery, while the remaining money was shared among other gang members and the informant. (NAN)

Continue Reading

Trending

Take advantage of our impressive online traffic; advertise your brands and products on this site. Call

 

For Advert Placement and Enquiries, Call:

Mobile Phone:+234 803 304 2915

 

Online Editor: Michael Abimboye

Mobile Phone: 0813 699 6757

Email: mmakesense@gmail.com

 

Copyright © 2018 NewTelegraph Newspaper.

%d bloggers like this: