Connect with us

National news

Tinubu: APC’s goodwill dwindling

Published

on

…reject APC in 2019, Secondus tells Nigerians

 

National Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, yesterday, declared the goodwill the party enjoyed among Nigerians was dwindling. Tinubu stated this when he met with members of the APC National Working Committee (NWC) at the party’s secretariat in Abuja on the way to reconcile aggrieved members of the party. That was as the National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Prince Uche Secondus, also yesterday called on Nigerians to get ready to vote out the APC-led Federal Government in the 2019 general elections.

Secondus, who described the present administration as a “government of confusion,” spoke in Yenagoa, the Bayelsa State capital during the sixth year anniversary celebration of Governor Seriake Dickson’s government. Tinubu, who told journalists that he was at the APC secretariat to consult the party’s executive on the assignment given to him by President Muhammadu Buhari, admitted that governing Nigeria was a difficult task. His words: “We worked hard to victory. We have never governed before, but we won the confidence of Nigerians to govern.

We have a desire to really serve the country to change and reform the country. It is not easy to have those changes implemented like instant coffee. We have to grow it. We have to face challenges. “I sympathize with us and wish we equally look at ourselves.

Since we won the elections, the expectation was very high and the goodwill was extremely high, but where are we today?”

Explaining why the government and the party seemed not to have made much impact, he said: “The challenges faced by the government and the president are enormous. It is only because people are not paying attention to the various statistics that are available. We have to push that, but I won’t touch that yet. “The challenges of reform and re-engineering of the financesof thiscountry, stopping corruption and challenging the status quo is there, it doesn’t go away over night.”

On the reconciliation process, he said: “l came for consultation since you are aware of the assignment given to me and I am all ears to listen to various challenges we have. We have worked hard after the last convention of the party, congresses were held from various wards to elect repre-sentatives at the state, local government and national levels.”

The APC National Chairman, Chief John Odigie-Oyegun, who pledged the cooperation of the APC NWC in the reconciliation move, said: “I welcome you (Tinubu) here. There is no question at all that there are major issues in the National Assembly, Kano, Kogi and Benue states, but we will make your assignment a successful one.”

But, Secondus, who called for the rejection of the ruling party in the next elections, berated the APC for bringing hunger and poverty to Nigerians. He said: “I call on all prominent men to come back and rescue our nation from hunger and frustration that we are experiencing today. This broom has brought us poverty, hunger and killings. Never again shall we witness killings and poverty.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National news

2019: Isiaka resigns from PDP, says party’s crisis intractable

Published

on

Gboyega Isiaka

The Ogun State Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governorship candidate in 2015, Prince Gboyega Isiaka, has resigned his membership of the party.

Isiaka, who said the decision was not an easy one for him, noted that the crisis rocking the party in the state had proved intractable ahead of another general election.

A copy of his resignation letter dated May 24 and addressed to the state PDP chairman, was obtained yesterday by Saturday Telegraph.

The Ogun PDP had been factionalised between loyalists of Senator Buruji Kashamu representing Ogun East Senatorial District and a House of Representatives member, Oladipupo Adebutu, from Remo Federal Constituency.

Isiaka, who had contested the governorship on two previous occasions, said he was leaving the PDP to continue his partisan political career “by charting a new course.”

He lamented that genuine steps taken by few patriots within the opposition party to close up the fault lines and return it to glory days have been to no avail.

The letter partly read, “I am using this medium to convey the decision to resign my membership of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), effective from today 24th May, 2018.

“This has not been an easy one for me as I recall with nostalgia, the opportunities and privileges which the membership of this party conferred on my political career; the peak of which was the kind consideration given me to be the flag bearer of the PDP in the last gubernatorial election in Ogun State.

“You will recall that the PDP, especially in our state, has been through a rough patch in the last couple of years, and after two successive electoral losses, the search for lasting peace is still elusive. Despite the genuine steps taken by few patriots within the party to close up the fault lines and return the party to glory days, all have been to no avail.

“With another election on the horizon and the perennial challenges of the party festering and proving to be intractable, I am left with no other choice but to continue my partisan political career by charting a new course where my philosophies and beliefs are aligned with good democratic ethos for the ultimate aim of promoting a better society.”

When contacted yesterday on Isiaka’s next political move, one of his media aides, Wale Junaid, said his principal is committed to contesting and winning the 2019 governorship in the state.

Junaid stated that the issue of whether the two-time gubernatorial candidate would join another political party or not would be addressed at the appropriate time.

He restated Isiaka’s commitment to running a welfarist and people-centred administration when he emerges as governor next yea

Continue Reading

National news

Police storm Kuku’s house in search of kidnappers

Published

on

Kingsley Kuku

Men of the Nigerian Police Force stormed the resident of former Special Adviser to President Goodluck Jonathan on Niger Delta Affairs, Hon. Kingsley Kuku and made away with some undisclosed items.

Led by Sunday Alli, a Supretendent of Police in the IGP Tactical Squad for Armed robbery, gun running and Kidnapping, the men stormed the Arogbo in Ese-Odo Local Government area of Ondo State and shot sporadically into the air to scare away residents.

Kuku had left Nigeria for the United States of America (USA) for what he called medical reasons shortly after the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) lost the 2015 elections.

Since then, he has not returned to the country to answer some of the charges prefer against him by the Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC)

Sources said armed policemen, numbering over 20 stormed the residence of former Special Adviser to the President on Niger Delta Affairs and started shooting sporadically into the air to scare away everybody in the house and neighbourhood.

According to a source in the neighbourhood, who pleaded that his name should not be mentioned in press, said the policeman ” forcefully broke into every room and everywhere in the house claiming to be in search of kidnappers.

“After combing all the rooms in the house in a commando style, they left without anything incriminating nor any kidnapper in the house,”

Another source, a woman in the neighbourhood who also spoke on condition of anonymity said “this is actually a worrisome and a condemnable act exhibited by the Police.

“How can the Police who are supposed to protect the citizens be the source of panic in a peaceful community by storming a private residence without a search warrant, and shoot sporadically to scare away unharmed citizens, claiming to be in search of kidnappers? This shouldn’t be happening in a democratic state.”

Continue Reading

National news

Killings: Politicians sponsoring killings for 2019 – Wole Soyinka

Published

on

As the killing of farmers in Benue and other states of their federation by suspected armed Fulani mercenaries continue unabated, Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka yesterday implored there Federal Government to urgently seek for the assistance of the International Community to end the impunity perpetrated by herdsmen insurgents against the people.

Besides, he challenged President Muhammadu Buhari to give 48 hours notice to the various security apparatuses in the country to flush out the invaders illegally occupying the lands belonging to Benue people to enable Internally Displaced Persons to return to their ancestral homes.

Professor Soyinka who stated this during a courtesy call on Governor Ortom at the government house in Makurdi after the celebration of an indigenous literary work written by a second republic Senator, Suemo Chia, faulted President Muhammadu for his slow pace at addressing critical matters of security as it affects some states of the federation particularly Benue State where more than 492 people have been massacred in 18 out of 23 local government areas of the state.

“If the government cannot cope, it should not shy away from asking for international help. When human lives are concerned in their thousands and so on, as it was observed everywhere all over the world, if these complements will be returned and for those nations where our military has served before to come to our assistance”.

“I think there should be no business of national integrity, national pride and so on. People are dying so this government cannot cope. Please just ask for international help and I know they are ready and willing to come to our aid”.

“The critical moment by the way has been lost. The critical moment when this act of impunity, this rampage of impunity could have been stopped if the President of this nation had gone to the site of the first atrocity and said this would not be tolerated and I want this place sanitized by the military, it would not have had this succession of killings which have even been given from time to time religious overtones”.

He condemned the killing of the two Catholic Priests and 17 parishioners inside the place of worship, saying, it was an ethnic cleansing plot to occupy the people’s land and sponsored by “desperate politicians in order to create chaos ahead of the 2019 general elections and continue to perpetuate themselves in power and enjoy immunity.

“My feeling by the way about the recent killing of the Priests and the congregation is that it was a deliberate diversion. I think this is just a campaign of ethnic cleansing for the purpose of occupation of land, that is one. Two, our feelings are that some really desperate politicians are sponsoring these mercenaries in order to create chaos in advance of the next election because they are desperate to stay in power and continue to enjoy immunity”.

He observed that if the country had right thinking people around the corridors of power of the federal government, the killings rocking states wouldn’t have gone protracted the way it is, as those behind it would have since been identified and apprehended to confront justice.

“I think it’s time for all of us to come together and really probe this tumour and stop pretending that this is simply ringworm when we are actuality dealing with cancer in this society”.

Governor Ortom in a response, blamed the leadership of Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore for the sustained attacks and killing of innocent people of the state and reiterated his call for the their arrest and prosecution to put killing impasse to rest.

The governor said the killings in the state was purely an ethnic cleansing and a Jihadist agenda to confiscate the fertile land given to the people by God.

He said people of the state have no weapon to confront the armed Fulani herdsmen, and would continue to ask for justice until the perpetrators are arrested and made to face the full wrath of the law.

They (Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore ledaers) said it clearly and it’s written and we have the documents and I have reported them to the security agencies. I am in agreement with you but as law abiding citizens, we don’t even have cutlasses to fight back. We cannot use any weapon to fight back, we depend on the law enforcement agencies”.

Governor Ortom commended the federal government for the deployment of more troops for a military operation and expressed optimism that the gesture would bring to an end the killing and occupation of the people’s land.

Continue Reading

Trending

Take advantage of our impressive online traffic; advertise your brands and products on this site. Call

 

For Advert Placement and Enquiries, Call:

Mobile Phone:+234 803 304 2915

 

Online Editor: Michael Abimboye

Mobile Phone: 0813 699 6757

Email: mmakesense@gmail.com

 

Copyright © 2018 NewTelegraph Newspaper.