A police sergeant attached to Badia Police Station has been accused of shooting to death a 16-year-old boy, Emmanuel Chukwu, at Ijora Badia area of Lagos.
The incident occurred last Saturday.
Father of the deceased, Mr. Uzor Chukwu, was said to have travelled to Ebonyi State to bury his uncle, while his son was shot dead by police in Lagos.
It was learnt that Emmanuel, who was a student of Randle Secondary School, Apapa, was at their apartment about 8a.m. at No, 7 Fadaina Street.
He heard the noise of protesters calling on policemen at their station to release a woman accused of kidnapping a toddler.
The police rescued the suspected kidnapper at Giwa Street when she was about to be set ablaze by some angry youths and took her to their station at Badia.
But the youth went with the policemen to their station, demanding the suspect be released to them.
A resident, who gave his name as Moshood, said Chukwu was sleeping in their apartment and came out to see what was happening when a stray bullet hit him.
He said: “Immediately the suspected kidnapper was arrested and the baby was rescued by some youths in the community. They descended on the woman and tried to set her ablaze. But some elders phoned the police who came to rescue her and take her to their station. It was the shout of the protesters that woke the deceased.
“Emmanuel was standing on the balcony of their house, catching a glimpse of what was happening at the station, when a stray bullet fired by the police to disperse the protesters hit him in the chest.”
Another resident, Mr. John Idowu, said Emmanuel’s death was unfortunate in, as he was not part of the protesters.
The distraught mother of the deceased, Mrs. Ijeoma Chukwu, described the policemen as cruel and heartless human beings.
She said: “I am yet to believe that my son is no more. My son was asleep and woken up by the noise of people shouting that the woman should be released. He ran out to see what was happening when the stray bullet him.
“I was working in the kitchen, when someone came to call me that my son had been shot and I rushed into the bedroom to check him where he was sleeping only to discover that he had left the room without my knowledge. I was told it was after a few minutes he got to the balcony that the stray bullet hit him.
“To my surprise, when I rushed outside, I saw the policemen carrying the remains of my son to their station. I ran after them. On getting to the station, I told them I am the mother of the boy that they should allow me see him. They refused and threatened to shoot me if I did not leave the place.
“I cried but they didn’t listen to me until they took his remains to the mortuary. Unfortunately, my husband has travelled home for the burial of his uncle but his brothers have informed him. Even my husband’s brothers who went to the station, the policemen also threatened to shoot them if they did not leave.”
When contacted for confirmation, the state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), SP Chike Oti, said police did not shoot anybody.
He said: “Policemen from Badia Station received a distress call that some hoodlums were about to lynch a woman for offence that was not yet established rescued and brought her to their station.
“The hoodlums mobilised themselves and went to attack the policemen and tried to burn down the station, it was part of the dangerous weapons they were using that hit the boy.
“Immediately, the hoodlums noticed what happened to the boy, they took to their heels. The policemen went to take the boy to the hospital where he was later confirmed dead.”
My body no be wood or stone, sex-starved wife tells court, urges dissolution of union
Barely after five years of nuptial bliss, a 35 -year-old businesswoman, Mrs Bilikisu Azeez, on Monday approached an Igando Customary Court in a Lagos suburb to dissolve her sexless marriage.
“Please dissolve this union so that I can move on with my life, my body is not wood or stone,” the sex-starved wife opened up in court.
She told the court that her husband, Olusesi Azeez, starved her of sex for more than two years, a development which, she said, had affected her health.
“My husband has been starving me of sex since he married his youngest wife, he has turned me to an abandoned property.
“I have been falling sick in and out of hospital, during my last visit to the hospital, I was told that it was because I have had sex for long that is why I experience frequent sickness.”
She also accused her husband of not caring for her and the only child of the marriage, saying “my husband does not take care of me, I feed and clothe myself.
“He refused to enroll our only child, who is over four years old in school and has failed to pay his medical bills; I always run to my mother for the hospital bill.”
Bilikisu, who also accused her husband of battery, said he had beaten her publicly which resulted in her fainting.
According to her, the trouble started when her husband brought in the third wife.
She continued: “There was joy, love and peace in the house until he came with another wife, who has been fighting me also.”
Olusesi, in his response to the allegations, accepted that he starved the woman of sex.
“She once denied me of sex and since then I abandoned her.
“Yes, I starved her of sex, it is tit for tat because there was a day I entered her room to sleep with her and she left the bed to sleep on the floor.
“I made an attempt eight times to sleep with her, but she refused. So since that day, I just put her aside after all she is not the only wife I have,” he told the court.
The 45-year-old building contractor, however, agreed to the dissolution of the marriage, asking the court to grant his wife’s request.
“I am no longer interested in the marriage.”
The court’s President, Mr Akin Akinniyi, after listening to the estranged couple, advised them to explore a possible reconciliation of the crisis.
He adjourned the case until April 12 for judgment.(NAN)
Woman drags ex-husband to Court over alleged assault
A 30-year-old woman, Janet Audu has dragged her ex-husband, Ishaku Maigari, to the Magajin Gari Sharia Court in Kaduna over alleged assault and harassment.
Janet told the court that her former husband has been harassing her in public, calling her a prostitute and beating her.
She that since their separation five years ago, during which she was granted custody of their three children, Maigari has also failed to cater for the children.
“We have been separated for five years now but has refused to move on. He constantly visit my house and shop to harass and beat me”, the complainant said.
She therefore urged the court to intervene, so as to stop Maigari from assaulting and harassing her, and compel him to be a responsible father to his children.
However, when his plea was taken, the ex-husband denied all the allegations made against him, saying they were untrue.
The Judge, Malam Musa Sa’ad, asked Janet if she has any witness, which she answered in the affirmative but complained that those willing to testify were afraid of Maigari.
The case has been adjourned to March 26, for the complainant to present her witnesses.(NAN)
Dumpsite: Residents risk lung infections as Smoke envelopes Lagos
…pupils, workers at risk of lung infections
No fewer than ten communities around Ojota, Ketu, Olusosun and some parts of Alausa- Oregun are currently being enveloped by the poisonous fumes from the Olusosun dumpsite where fire erupted on Wednesday. The visibility was zero as commuters and motorists managed to drive through the thick, dark and poisonous substance which has taken over the city metropolis. While some motorists drove slowly through the thick smoke, other sped off to escape the dark potion of the road.
Pedestrians at various bus stops especially the Seven-Up axis of the Lagos- Ibadan Expressway and the Ojota Bus Stop on the Ikorodu Road rushed to take the next available buses upon alighting from other vehicles. Some were using nose guards to cover their noses others used handkerchiefs to prevent inhaling the smoke. For the scavengers near the dumpsite and on the road linking Motorway Building to Ojota Bus Stop, it was business as usual as very few of them covered their noses, saying they were used to it. Some officials of the Lagos State Traffic Management Agency (LASTMA), enforcing the traffic law on the erring motorists around the Seven-Up Lay-by, covered their noses.
Speaking with our correspondent, one of the workers at the dumpsite, who identified himself simply as King of Boys, said they were praying for downpour to completely put out the fire, adding that the men of the state fire service couldn’t contain the fire. According to the young man, who was posing with his cigarette while speaking with our correspondent in the smoky environment, workers around the dumpsite are used to stench and smoke but they are only relieved of the smoke at the instance of downpour. Also, a LASTMA official, who pleaded anonymity, described the smoke as an annual occurrence, saying it happened last year during rainy season.
He said: “The smoke is not new. It’s an annual thing. Too much of refuse often leads to explosion and days of fume like this. I learnt that medical team was here in the morning to share nose guards.” Asked how he was coping with the smoke, the officer retorted: “I only spend about eight hours here daily. As you can see, I just resumed about 2p.m. and I will live by 8p.m.
But if we experience health hazards as a result of our exposure to the smoke, we will report at our Oshodi headquarters for medical attention.” Also, a resident of Ikosi Road, who refused to give her name, said she couldn’t leave her present home for another area because of the difficulty in getting accommodation in Lagos.
She said they could hardly open their windows or doors for fresh air since their environment was always enveloped in stench and smoke. Meanwhile, there are concerns that thousands of pupils in public and private schools located near the site as well as residents working around the axis are at risk of lung diseases.
A resident, Mrs. Grace Shokumbi, said pupils of Ikosi-High School and other private schools were prone to lung infections while those who were asthmatic could have their condition worsened by the current development. She said: “As pupils resume in school tomorrow (today) we are more than worry with the current development. What we inhale currently is polluted oxygen. We are tired of inhaling carbon monoxide.
I am sure the concerned authorities know the implications on our health.” Analysing the health risk of exposure to smoke in the area, a medical consultant, Dr. Kinsley Edosa, said that individuals with cardiovascular or respiratory conditions (e.g., asthma), foetuses, infants, young children, and the elderly might be more vulnerable to the health effects of smoke exposure. According to him, smoke released by any type of fire (forest, bush, crop, structure, tyres, waste or wood burning) is a mixture of particles and chemicals produced by incomplete burning of carbon- containing materials.
He said: “All smoke contains carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and particulate matter. Smoke can contain many different chemicals, including aldehydes, acid gases, sulphur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), benzene, toluene, styrene, metals and dioxins.
The type and amount of particles and chemicals in smoke varies depending on what is burning, how much oxygen is available, and the burn temperature.” According to the consultant, studies have shown that some people exposed to heavy smoke have temporary changes in lung function, which makes breathing more difficult. He added that two of the major agents in smoke which could cause health effects were carbon monoxide gas and very small particles. According to experts at www.mass.gov/dep, if the smoke or air pollution continues, people may experience irritation of the eyes and throat; wheezing, coughing, chest tightness, and breathing difficulties; worsening of existing lung and heart problems such as asthma; increased risk of heart attack.
“Long exposure to air pollution can cause cancer and damage to the immune, neurological, reproductive and respiratory systems. In extreme cases, it can even cause death,” they said. When contacted on the phone, General Manager, Lagos State Waste Management Authority (LAWMA), Mr. Segun Adediji, said that fire service operators and officials from Lagos State Emergence Management Agency (LASEMA) had been permanently stationed to put out the fire. According to him, one of the reasons the two agencies were stationed at Olusosun dumpsite was to continue to pour water to put out the fire, assuring that the problem would be over soon.
Explaining the cause of the fire, the Commissioner for the Environment, Mr. Babatunde Durosinmi-Etti, said it was the natural outcome of the trapped gasses from the waste, escaping to cause combustion, a situation which occurs occasionally in dumpsites. According to him, waste in dumpsites naturally emit certain gasses that are occasionally released to cause combustion such as the one witnessed in Olososun dumpsite.
News13 hours ago
PDP asks Northern leaders for two ‘acceptable’ aspirants
News12 hours ago
Kukah: Northern Nigeria remains poorest region
News13 hours ago
Third Force: Soyinka, Nwabueze, Ciroma, others meet
News12 hours ago
2019: PDP has no candidate to match Buhari – Oyegun
News13 hours ago
Presidency: Why Buhari aborted Rwanda trip
Politics13 hours ago
The Durotoye, Moghalu challenge
Top Stories22 hours ago
US envoy backs Governor Ortom on ranching
Metro and Crime16 hours ago
LUC: Don’t block Third Mainland Bridge, police warn protesters