Connect with us

Metro and Crime

Cultists strike again, hack man to death in Ogun

Published

on

  • We’re combing town for suspects –Police

 

 

Barely a week after cult violence rocked and claimed six lives in Ijebu-Igbo, Ogun State, the fragile peace in the town was again ruptured yesterday as suspected cultists hacked a young man to death. The latest incident was said to have happened after argument ensued during a football match at LA Primary School, Oke-Agbo, Ijebu-Igbo.

Though the circumstances surrounding the killing were still sketchy at press time, New Telegraph gathered that it happened about 12:40p.m. yesterday, igniting fear about further reprisals despite assurances of adequate security by the authorities. A source told our correspondent that the victim, whose identity had not been ascertained, was pursued to where he was hacked to death. The source said the assailants, suspected to be members of Eiye Confraternity, fled the scene after killing their target.

The source added: “The incident happened this (yesterday) afternoon when some youths were playing football on the primary school field. It was during the match that some of them engaged in serious argument and before anyone knew what was happening, there was mayhem. We had to run for our lives. “It was later that we got information that one person was killed.

The victim suffered deep machete cuts. No one had expected such killing would occur again bearing in mind that policemen and other security operatives were deployed in the town about a week ago.” The source lamented that security situation had been relaxed in the town after last Sunday and Monday’s deadly cult violence in which a police inspector, a member of the Oodua Peoples’ Congress (OPC) and four others were reportedly killed. Several other persons also sustained injuries in the mayhem which prompted the deployment of soldiers and armed policemen to restore normalcy in the town. When contacted yesterday, the state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Abimbola Oyeyemi, confirmed the killing, but said normalcy had been restored to the town.

Oyeyemi, however, said the police command had deployed operatives in the town to apprehend the perpetrators and curb further loss of lives. The PPRO added that no suspect had been arrested in connection with the incident. He said: “Yes, it’s true that a cult clash has claimed another life in Ijebu-Igbo. This time, it was during a football match. No suspect has been arrested yet but we have sent reinforcements to the place.

Operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), Police Mobile Force (PMF) and Anti-Cultist Unit have been deployed to comb the black spots and hideouts of these people. These are the people that we are looking for, but we will get them arrested. You will remember that the command had arrested 34 suspects in connection with the last cult clash in the town.”

The PPRO, who stated that investigation had already commenced, told our correspondent that the arrested 34 suspects were still in custody. Following the tension generated by the dastardly killings, Governor Ibikunle Amosun warned, last week, that houses harbouring cultists in the state would henceforth be demolished.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Metro and Crime

N9.8m Fraud: Court strikes out case against businessman

Published

on

A case of N9.8million fraud preferred against a businessman, Abayomi Arodu has been struck out by an Ikeja Magistrate Court presided over by her honour, Mrs T. Akanni.

The decision of the court was based on lack of diligent prosecution and an agreement reached between the two parties.

A charge of N9.8 m was preferred against Arodu by his nephew, Festus Osho of Taiwo Close, Ifako-Ijaiye area of Lagos state.

According to a report filed with the police by Osho, Arodu was accused of collecting the money between 2009 and 2011 under the pretext of purchasing goods for Osho at the Nigerian Breweries PLC. Thereafter, a police prosecutor, Clifford Ogu arraigned Arodu in an Ogba Magistrate Court on two counts bordering on fraud and stealing, punishable under Sections 312(1a) and 285(1) of the Criminal Law of Lagos, 2011.

The case dragged on for two years as the complainant did not appear in court most times that the issue came up for hearing, while proof of evidence was also not made available to the defendant.

Eventually, an out of court settlement was agreed to lead to the decision of the court to strike out the matter on January 30, 2018 when the complainant voluntarily applied to the court for withdrawal of the matter.

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Police rescue robbers from mobs in Minna

Published

on

Luck on Thursday fell on two suspected motorcycle snatchers after men of the Nigeria Police intervened and saved them from lynching by angry mobs along Mandella junction Tudun Wada area of Chanchaga Local Government Area of Niger State.

Our Correspondent gathered that the suspects, Adamu Ahmed, 36 of kuchigoro of Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja and Kabiru Mohammed, 35, of Jabi Garage Abuja, were beaten with iron rods and stones, after they were caught trying to steal a motorcycle at Mandella Junction, in Minna.

It was reliably gathered that the police operatives attached to Special Anti-robbery Squad rushed to the scene and rescued the suspects after serious beating by the angry mobs.

The suspects who came from Abuja to perpetuate their wicked act were said to have been brought by their gang leader, identified as Bello Mohammed who later abandoned them and took to his heels.

One of the suspects, Ahmed told our correspondent that he has been snatching motorcycles from people at different locations for the past two years before he was apprehended by the police.

According to him “I was selling fish before I joined the gang of motorcycle robbers in Abuja, the proceeds from my fish business could not sustain my family needs, then I was introduced to this business by one Bello Mohammed who brought us to Minna to steal a motorcycle.

“My wife does not know what am doing for a living and now she will find out, and I know she is going to divorce me and my life has finished”.

Ahmed, however, thanked the police for saving their lives at the scene of the incident, saying “we would have been dead by now if the police did not intervene. I promise not to involve myself in motorcycle robbery again.”

The other suspect, Mohammed said, “It is Allah’s ordination that police will arrest me because this is not the first time I am into this act. I pray that my wife and my family will forgive me, it is devil’s work.”

Confirming the arrest, the Command’s Public Relations Officer, Muhammad Abubakar, said that the operatives recovered the motorcycle from the suspects, adding that they would be charged to court after the investigation.

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Man, 55, impersonates late father, forges title documents to secure N40m bank loan

Published

on

A 55-year-old man, Mukaila Kosebinu, who allegedly forged title documents of his late father and also impersonated him, on Thursday appeared before an Ikeja Chief Magistrates’ Court.

He was also charged with using the documents to secure N40 million from a bank.

The accused, who resides at No. 9, Sule-Aleja St., Aga, Ikorodu in Lagos State, is facing a four-count charge bordering on
conspiracy, forgery and impersonation.

The accused committed the offences on August 7, 2014 at Alausa, Ikeja, Police Prosecutor Peter Nwangwu told the court.

Mr Nwangwu said the case was reported at the police station by the accused’s sister, Folashade Ogundimu.

He said the accused forged a driver’s licence and his late father’s title documents and submitted them at the Lagos State Land Bureau to be acted upon as genuine.

Mr Nwangwu said the accused also impersonated his late father when he swore to an affidavit claiming his father’s name and property at No. 1A, Folarin St., Mosalashi, Idioro in Mushin, Lagos.

“The accused made a publication in the PM newspaper for a change of name on August 7, 2014, claiming to be his father, Nofiu Kosebinu.

“Mukaila, without the consent of his siblings, used the forged documents to secure a N40 million loan from Access
Bank,” he alleged.

The offences contravened Sections 87, 363, 380 and 411 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2011.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Section 363 provides a three-year jail term for offenders, while Section 380 prescribes seven years.

The accused pleaded not guilty to the charge.

In her ruling, the Chief Magistrate, Y.O. Aje-Afunwa, granted the accused bail in the sum of N500, 000 with two sureties
in like sum.

Ms Aje-Afunwa said the sureties should be gainfully employed with an evidence of two years tax payment to the Lagos State Government and adjourned the case until June 8.

Continue Reading

Trending

Take advantage of our impressive online traffic; advertise your brands and products on this site. Call

 

For Advert Placement and Enquiries, Call:

Mobile Phone:+234 803 304 2915

 

Online Editor: Michael Abimboye

Mobile Phone: 0813 699 6757

Email: mmakesense@gmail.com

 

Copyright © 2018 NewTelegraph Newspaper.

%d bloggers like this: