The Federal High Court Abuja has barred the Nigerian Police, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC and the Department of State Security Service, (DSS) from searching houses belonging to Gov. Nyesom Wike of Rivers.
Wike had in 2017, approached the court seeking an order of injunction restraining the IGP, the Police, the EFCC and the DSS from obtaining a search warrant to search any of his houses.
Delivering judgement on the matter yesterday, Justice Ahmed Mohammed noted that the defendants were in agreement that the plaintiff, Wike, could not be investigated based on the provision of Section 308 of the 1999 Constitution. Justice Mohammed said that from the combined reading of Section 308 of the constitution, and sections 149 and 150 of Administration of Criminal Justice Act, (ACJA) 2015, three situations had been prohibited.
The first, he said, was the provision that no civil or criminal proceedings shall be instituted against the plaintiff. He further said that a person covered by the provisions shall not be arrested, and thirdly, any process of court requiring appearance of a person protected under the provisions shall not be applied. Justice Mohammed maintained that parties in their submissions, lost the purport and intendment of section 308(1)(c) of the constitution.
According to him, a careful reading of section 308(1)(c) shows that the constitution has prohibited court process requiring the appearance of a serving governor before any investigative panel.
He held that the argument of the police and the EFCC that Wike’s residence could be searched without his presence was untenable.
The judge said it was wrong for the defendants to import meaning or interpretation not included in Section 308 of the constitution by the person who drafted the constitution. He held that the essence of the section was to accord immunity to a serving governor so as not to cause distractions to the governor in the act of governance.
The judge dismissed the objections of the defendants and held that Wike’s suit had succeeded because it had merit. Wike had asked for six reliefs but the judge granted three and said while one was not grantable, the others were embedded in the ones granted.
VIDEO: Sunday Igboho steals show as Moshood Adeoti declares to succeed Aregbesola
One of the leading aspirants in the race to Abere government house for the September 22nd governorship election in Osun state, Alhaji Moshood Olalekan Adeoti popularly addressed as “SHEU” by his admirers has officially declared his intention to contest for the post of the governor, to succeed his boss, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola under the platform of the All Progressives Congress APC.
He made his intention known when he visited the state secretariat of the party in Osogbo, accompanied by his teeming supporters, loyalists and well-wishers gathered from all local governments of the state, in his words at the occasion, “Mr. Chairman, I have come forward today as a disciplined and active party member of APC to declare my interest in contesting for the governor of Osun, I have gathered valuable experience over the years, starting from my humble political background as a councilor in Iwo to the state party chairman of Action Congress AC, Action Congress of Nigeria ACN, and now the secretary to the state government in the last eight years, i am most experienced and qualified among all the contestants from both the PDP and APC ” he said.
My interest primarily is to make success out of everywhere Governor Rauf Aregbesola has failed as we have many shortcomings as an administration but government is a continuum, our party APC made many promises which we cannot fulfill but I vow to fulfill all of them if elected as governor. I also want to align with the six integral action plan of Aregbesola and I am totally committed to fulfilling them all provided the APC will give me the platform to contest as its flag bearer, he stressed further.
Speaking at the short ceremony, one of the notable personality who accompanied Adeoti to the ceremony, Chief Sunday Igboho Adeyemo, a chieftain of PDP in Oyo State and a former ally of former Governor, Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola who affirmed his total readiness to work assiduously for the emergence and success of Adeoti at the polls categorically assured that all known and prominent thugs within and outside Osun will be mobilized to support the ambition of Adeoti. Igboho, a known confidant of Senator Rashidi Ladoja said he has gotten approval of Ladoja to support the APC aspirant.
One of the party elders from Ejigbo who accompanied Adeoti to the event but prefers to stay anonymous expressed shock about the missed opportunity and lack of cohesion displayed by the grassroot politician of Adeoti caliber, this was an opportunity for Sheu to itemize his manifesto to the party and people, prove bookmakers wrong that he has the capacity needed to administer our state, he also failed to showcase to the public the achievements of the administration in which he served as SSG for eight years, instead was hammering on areas of weaknesses and failures of Aregbesola, the former AD councillor lamented.
“We have over 50 party leaders here, and Sunday Igboho who is not a resident, citizen or voter in Osun state was the one of the persons recognized by the SSG to address the gathering, Igboho that was in Osogbo 2months ago for the PDP state Congress where Adagunodo was elected chairman, this is an insult to our collective sensibility in Osun, the septuagenarian questioned.
When asked when he will resign his present appointment, he simply answered, there is no place in Nigeria or APC constitution where it was written that I have to resign because I want to contest for governor, I’m still the SSG, he boasted.
I built my demolished house with gratuity, says landlord
Landlords and residents of Iyeri community, located at Imota, Ikorodu area of Lagos State, have cried out over what they described as the illegal demolition of completed and uncompleted buildings in their communities.
The Iyeri community chairman, Mr Tony Aghedo, said that all the buildings in the community were demolished on April 4, 2018, by the Lagos State Building Control Agency. According to them, they were shocked to see that the bulldozers, which pulled down their homes, were escorted by hundreds of policemen and soldiers.
The community chairman said that he was disallowed to evacuate his property out of his house by the policemen and soldiers, leading to destruction of his property. Tony, who noted that it was the state Ministry of Agriculture that directed the state building control agency to demolish all buildings in the community, added that the community lawyer had already been alerted and that a protest had been held at the state government house.
Tony further said: “It was a tragic day for us. Every landlord and landlady in the community bought their land from the Shupori family. We don’t know the genesis of this land. We only heard that there had been an agreement between the Ministry of Agriculture and the family in question, which was not supposed to affect us.” In a voice filled with emotion, Tony cried out: “I built my now demolished house with my gratuity. I’m just a retired civil servant.
There should at least be a compensation of a sort for us. We must not allow this ministry to intimidate us because we are very sure there has been a conspiracy.” A landlady, who gave her name as Iyaafin Adekola, said: “On the day of the demolition, the policemen were power drunk due to the extent that phones of those who tried to defend their homes were snatched and smashed.” Adekola, a petty trader, said that she was able to raise money, buy and built her now demolished house by working to the bones.
She was said to have collapsed when bulldozers rode through the walls of her two-bedroom apartment, pulling everything to the grounds. She added: “The next place I found myself after witnessing the horrible incident was in the hospital.
I had received two drips. My children and I, live in an uncompleted building.” Comfort Oladeji, 57, implored the government to compensate the affected community members. Oladeji said that it took her 10 years to build her house, which, was demolished within seconds.
The community secretary, Mustapha Akeem, said that necessary actions had been taken, stressing that those who were affected had staged a protest to the Lagos State House of Assembly and other vital places.
He added: “I’m sad because I’m a civil servant, working under the Lagos State Government. We have staged a protest and we are happy that the Governor Akinwunmi Ambode, has given us an appointment date. We wished to be compensated.”
Fani-Kayode’s wife delivers triplets on her birthday
Precious, wife of former Aviation Minister, Dr. Femi Fani-Kayode, was yesterday delivered a set of triplets. Precious, who gave birth to three boys, made the announcement on her Instagram page on yesterday.
The former beauty queen further revealed the names of her new babies. She wrote via her handle @snowhiteey: “Thank you Lord for these special birthday gifts. My target was 35 weeks and exactly today, Ragnar, Aiden and Liam just arrived. “I’m doing fine and so are my boys. Thanks for your prayers and wishes, I really do appreciate.”
News14 hours ago
2019 ELECTIONS: Saraki, Dogara’s Supporters consider ADC
News14 hours ago
Buhari, Obasanjo’s quarrel, good for Nigeria –Gen. Ikponmwen
Metro and Crime14 hours ago
Remarkable achievement! Nigerian-American girl born without hands wins handwriting competition
News15 hours ago
Innoson chairman appeals court’s order declaring him wanted
News15 hours ago
Oshiomhole: Buhari’ll win 2019 presidential election
Features14 hours ago
THE OREKOYA ABDUCTION: My wife gave herself up for me to escape –Suspected kidnapper
News15 hours ago
EFCC grills ex-Kaduna gov over campaign funds
Metro and Crime17 hours ago
STF parades suspected gang of kidnappers’ in Jos